Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Control relay

Options
jhilly
jhilly Member Posts: 31
I have no 24 voltage on board.  Manual power runs pumps.  New transformer or just replace whole unit with a new 2 zone control relay switch?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Is the transformer protected by a fuse?
    If you have no voltage coming out of the transformer, replace the transformer if you can.
    But make sure you don't have a short somewhere or you'll be replacing that whatever you fixed again.
    steve
  • jhilly
    Options
    No fuse.  I assume I toasted the transformer when I ran the new thermostat wire and shorted the wires at install at thermostat.  
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    jhilly said:

No fuse.  I assume I toasted the transformer when I ran the new thermostat wire and shorted the wires at install at thermostat.  

Ah... two wire or three wire thermostat? Two wire, if you short the wires, usually the worst that will happen is that the boiler will think you need heat and come on. Three wire and you short power to common (usually red to yellow, but electricity is colour blind so don't count on that) you can blow a fuse -- or the transformer.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • jhilly
    Options
    Yup 3 wire ..must have popped the tranny!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    what what brand relay box? The Caleffi’s have resettable transformer protection. Power it down, wait a minute or two and you should have 24v
    you need a VOM to test for voltage at various locations
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Zman
  • jhilly
    Options
    hot_rod said:
    what what brand relay box? The Caleffi’s have resettable transformer protection. Power it down, wait a minute or two and you should have 24v
    you need a VOM to test for voltage at various locations
    Cpi product, danfoss power board, danfoss therostats, 3 wire.  Danfoss was no help.  No fuses on board.  I have not powered the system down.  Maybe that will reset it.  2005 build
  • jhilly
    Options
    Power down no reset.  Can I use a 3 wire thermostat with a taco sr 504 switching relay? I have 2 zones, 2 grundfos circulation pumps and a hot water heater.
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 234
    Options
    You can run the com wire to the com side of the 24vac/com terminal that is located on the left side of the sr control. Make sure the Nest has been pre charged.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    Options
    if you go the replacement transformer route, think about including one of there between the R terminal on the 24 volt side of the transformer and the R terminal on the control usually a 3 amp is sufficient. the fuses are cheaper than the transformers

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Zman
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options

if you go the replacement transformer route, think about including one of there between the R terminal on the 24 volt side of the transformer and the R terminal on the control usually a 3 amp is sufficient. the fuses are cheaper than the transformers

You can fit more in your pocket as well...
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • jhilly
    Options
    Ugh...bought a new Honeywell ct87k.  Red to red white to white black to yellow.  On my switch..red to red white to white black to common next to 24v.  Blows fuse.  I'm losing it
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    The CT87K needs only two wires: red and white. The thermostat has a switch inside which closes the circuit between red and white. What are those wires connected to at the other end?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • jhilly
    Options
    The CT87K needs only two wires: red and white. The thermostat has a switch inside which closes the circuit between red and white. What are those wires connected to at the other end?
    Red to red and white to white at thermostat 1 and another 87k the same wiring.  
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    and it blew a fuse? For a plain vanilla system, neither red nor white should be powered... for some systems, red is powered, white is switched.

Assuming the colour codes are followed, which isn't a given.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • jhilly
    Options
    So the 87k wired up and it will not call for heat.  Meaning I can floor the thermostat and the pump does not turn on.  Brand new 2 wires. New taco Sr 502 switch.  When jumper the thermostat at the switch pump kicks on???
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    A jumper at the switch turns it on, but not at the other end of the wIres? One or both of the wires is broken or disconnected somewhere.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • jhilly
    Options
    and it blew a fuse? For a plain vanilla system, neither red nor white should be powered... for some systems, red is powered, white is switched. Assuming the colour codes are followed, which isn't a given.
    When wired red to red and white to white no activity from thermostat.  Gonna try new wire???  
  • jhilly
    Options
    Gets even better....both my pumps were screaming when I got home!  I'm figuring both are ****.  Ordered 2 grundfos u15-58's. Can't find the grundfos pump I have.  Cold this morning with a couple inches falling last night!!!!