Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Turning on Heat in sub 32 degree weather

Options
xcheese
xcheese Member Posts: 1
How do I go about turning on my hydronic system once the slab falls below 32 degrees?

28x44 garage slab 4 inches thick 2 inch foam under and around perimeter. Finally got all the wall and ceiling insulated, but need to finish building controller with winter fast approaching. 4 loops 300 ft each - 1 zone. It will be heated with a water heater running glycol. Slab pour in spring of 2020, unheated last year. Looking for low temp... just keeping the air temp around 50 degrees (F)

Looking for input on how to warm the system / floor without cracking.

Would turning the circ pump on when I start the heater for the first time so it circulates the slowing water fluid keep the slab from cracking?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,289
    Options
    You're using a glycol/water mix? I won't comment on the water heater... wrong device... but let that go.

If you are using a glycol/water mix, then it's simple enough: start the circulating pump and start the water heater. That way you're warming the circulating liquid and the slab all together, and you shouldn't have a problem.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    GroundUprick in Alaska
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,907
    Options
    Either that, or simply turn the WH thermostat down to 80ish to start and see where that gets you. If it's not reaching 50, turn the water temp up to 90. So on and so forth.
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 556
    Options
    When the slab is that cold at startup, expect a loooong time for it come up to temp. Even the heat source is not going to see its target temp for a while. That slab is going suck out BTU's faster than it can make. The load at this point can be up to 4x larger than the heat loss.

I would do as @GroundUp suggests, start with 80ish degree water and let it run for a few days/week then start turning it up

Dave H.
    Dave H
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    If the slab is super cold, there is a risk that the water will freeze when you first fill it. I would warm the space for a few days with temp heat and be 100% sure the boiler will fire before filling with water. Unless you grossly oversize the boiler, the slab will climb in temp very slowly.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    GroundUpSTEVEusaPA
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    Is it a standard residential gas water heater? 35,000 BTU or so?
    That water heater will probably be condensing for days, maybe its entire life :) certainly as the cold slab warms. I doubt it has enough output to shock the slab, set it wherever you need to run.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream