Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How Worried Should I Be? (Oil Fired Boiler Domestic Coil)

CTYankee
CTYankee Member Posts: 9
Ranch built in 1964 in CT. Original American Standard A-3 Oil Fired Boiler (so around 57 years in service). We have lived here for over 30 years and for most of that time, as far as I can recollect, the domestic hot water coil has looked like it does in this photo. So, how concerned should I be? When it fails, will it be "flooding the basement" event, or a slow weep that could last years? Is this reason enough to replace the boiler? Any other reason to replace this boiler? FWIW: I did replace much of the distribution system about 15 years ago (essentially everything except the boiler and the Amtrol Tank). Thanks

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,167
    That sort of thing is unlikely to "pop' and flood things abruptly -- but any leakage (and it is leaking now) will just get worse with time. Be sure that there is a low water cutoff on the boiler.

I'd not care to guess at the odds of getting that off and refinishing the seals...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    I would be thinking new boiler. Something new (like a Buderus G115) and properly setup, would probably save 30-40% in fuel.

The indirect should be setup as a priority zone directly off the boiler, not the tankless coil. The way it now is, the boiler has to stay hot all the time which is wasting a tremendous amount fuel.

You wouldn’t expect your vehicle or another appliance to last 57 years.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    HVACNUT
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    I agree with @Ironman

You need to replace the boiler or at least start saving for one. If you try pulling the bolts of that tankless they are all going to snap.

When that boiler gasket goes your basement will get some boler water.

I wouldn't panic but I would start moving on this for this winter or next
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    I'd be more concerned with tightness. 
    Pop off the side panel. Gobs of cement with soot streaks poking out? How about the draft hood?
    How's the chamber?
    And is that an R8182D aquastat/primary? That's big bucks to replace, even for a rebuilt.
    I vote replace. 
  • Jersey2
    Jersey2 Member Posts: 166
    CTYankee we are in the same boat. Mine has been looking pretty crusty and is the reason why I am going to replace my old boiler. I will go one more winter with mine.

I'm not a plumber or hvac man and my thoughts in comments are purely for conversation.