Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Mitsubishi Ductless Mini splits

Crissie
Crissie Member Posts: 84
You all are such experts, what is your opinion of the Mitsubishi Ductless hyper heat mini splits?

Comments

  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,218
    We install about 100 outdoor units and several hundred indoor units a year, might you have a more pointed question?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    [email protected]
  • Crissie
    Crissie Member Posts: 84
    GW said:

    We install about 100 outdoor units and several hundred indoor units a year, might you have a more pointed question?

    Are customers generally happy with them? Do they find that conditioned air reach the other side of a room, for example in a 19 x 13 ft room, putting it in the middle should be adequate?
    Do their electric bills go up substantially for heating use costs? I have heard complaints on this by a few people.
    I had a consultant tell me I would need to deep clean each unit's head once every 6 months, that mold can develop in them. By deep clean, I mean take the blower wheel out, takes about 1 hr. He did clean the little tiny filter every few weeks. Have also spoken with users in FB groups who had waited 18 months and the head was filthy, caked with dirt.
    Thank!
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,218
    edited October 12
    Opinions galore out there, like everything else these days. Our customers love them.

    Size of room-I can't visualize the space you're describing well enough to have an opinion. Is this mainly for ac or heat or both? Ac tends to flow pretty well, but heat can drift as it gets colder and colder outdoors. I would think in a room that size (not that big), put it wherever you want. I generally want to see the units blowing the 'long way' (put it on the 13' wall if possible). I would not really want to put this in the middle of the 13 foot wall (if you want good circulation). It will work, but not as well.

    if your home is relatively clean and you do a good job cleaning the filters (homeowners must clean their own filters, or pay unnecessary fees to have a pro do it), that 'deep clean' advice is too aggressive.

    Electricity----don't yo-yo the settings, set it and forget it. These units draw lots of power when they 'wake up'. They sip power when they are just left alone.

    filthy after 18 months----not normal, I would be curious what kind of environment they were in. I'm on Massachusetts, but maybe in other climate zones my comments would not be accurate.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    [email protected]
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 2,200
    edited October 12
    Crissie said:

    GW said:

    We install about 100 outdoor units and several hundred indoor units a year, might you have a more pointed question?

    Are customers generally happy with them? Do they find that conditioned air reach the other side of a room, for example in a 19 x 13 ft room, putting it in the middle should be adequate?
    Do their electric bills go up substantially for heating use costs? I have heard complaints on this by a few people.
    I had a consultant tell me I would need to deep clean each unit's head once every 6 months, that mold can develop in them. By deep clean, I mean take the blower wheel out, takes about 1 hr. He did clean the little tiny filter every few weeks. Have also spoken with users in FB groups who had waited 18 months and the head was filthy, caked with dirt.
    Thank!
    The issues your describing are generally due to drastically oversizing. Yes they can and do ramp up and down over a wide range but still need to be properly sized for the max. Dehumidification drops as the capacity drops and that can cause the mold growth.

    We switched to Fujitsu years ago. Mitisi were a little too pricy.
    Crissie
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 1,669
    Crissie said:
    We install about 100 outdoor units and several hundred indoor units a year, might you have a more pointed question?
    Are customers generally happy with them? Do they find that conditioned air reach the other side of a room, for example in a 19 x 13 ft room, putting it in the middle should be adequate? Do their electric bills go up substantially for heating use costs? I have heard complaints on this by a few people. I had a consultant tell me I would need to deep clean each unit's head once every 6 months, that mold can develop in them. By deep clean, I mean take the blower wheel out, takes about 1 hr. He did clean the little tiny filter every few weeks. Have also spoken with users in FB groups who had waited 18 months and the head was filthy, caked with dirt. Thank!
    Every single mini split system that I see, regardless of make or model is a disgusting mold bucket after two years. This is my biggest problem with these systems. Some minis are a nightmare to disassemble and clean. Second biggest problem is that they are a nightmare to troubleshoot and service,  proprietary parts are not always available.  I wouldn't recommend depending on a mini split as my only option for heating in a cold climate. I've seen too many people regret getting rid of a reliable cast iron boiler due to these issues. 

    I would only go with a mini split if it was not possible to install ductwork or If I couldn't afford a proper ducted system.
    CrissieSTEVEusaPA
  • Crissie
    Crissie Member Posts: 84

    Every single mini split system that I see, regardless of make or model is a disgusting mold bucket after two years. This is my biggest problem with these systems. Some minis are a nightmare to disassemble and clean. Second biggest problem is that they are a nightmare to troubleshoot and service,  proprietary parts are not always available.  I wouldn't recommend depending on a mini split as my only option for heating in a cold climate. I've seen too many people regret getting rid of a reliable cast iron boiler due to these issues. 

    I would only go with a mini split if it was not possible to install ductwork or If I couldn't afford a proper ducted system.

    SuperTech Are they worst with mold than PTAC units? Thx!

  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,218
    @pecmsg you kinda simplified a very technical conversation. ANY "multi-zone" is oversized at any give moment, right? It you have a (pick a number, lets say 3) 3 zone system but you're calling on only one zone, Bang---you're automatically oversized.

    Single zones----I always try and pitch the pros of singles...they simply can do more work with dehumidification, versus the bigger multis.

    Lastly- I think when people yo-yo the ac temp setting and allow the house to load up with humidity---it's a downhill slide.

    These systems are nails in our area---not sure what else is going on out there. My bus is very happy
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    [email protected]
    Crissie
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 2,200
    I stopped selling anything over Duel Zone years ago. Single or duel. 
    That was one of the reasons. 
    Crissie
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,218
    right on- gotta wonder if they are yo-yo's
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    [email protected]
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 2,200
    edited October 12
    I heard a lot of stories :O they can ramp up and down as needed" too a point. I have a tri zone in the summer house. Last one we installed. 3- tons for 1000 Sq Ft. East walls are all glass, no floor insulation, 2X6 roof decking exposed all open. It maintains 72 - 74° in the summer but is running 80 - 90%. No mold issue. filters need cleaning 2 - 3 times a season.

    in hind site i should have installed a Single 1 1/2-Ton for the main living area and a 1 1/2 ton ducted for the 2 bedrooms
    Crissie
  • Crissie
    Crissie Member Posts: 84
    pecmsg said:

    I heard a lot of stories :O they can ramp up and down as needed" too a point. I have a tri zone in the summer house. Last one we installed. 3- tons for 1000 Sq Ft. East walls are all glass, no floor insulation, 2X6 roof decking exposed all open. It maintains 72 - 74° in the summer but is running 80 - 90%. No mold issue. filters need cleaning 2 - 3 times a season.

    in hind site i should have installed a Single 1 1/2-Ton for the main living area and a 1 1/2 ton ducted for the 2 bedrooms

    3 tons for 1000 sq ft, how many indoor heads did you use? thx
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 2,200
    3
    Crissie