Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

gas burners replacement

itzik
itzik Member Posts: 40
edited October 2021 in Gas Heating
Hi,I have this Weil Mclain in a house I bought. Its pretty old not sure how old but i need to change the burners... They are rusty!
I got a quote for $ but seems to me too much.
I saw how my technician took them out- seems like an easy job to install, you dont even need a screw.
should I just order the parts? how do I know which one will fit for sure?
I am attaching few photos. Maybe its better to just get a new one install or should I wait until it stops working?
Appreciate you looking at it and give me some advice. I love this blog!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    You'd only need to change the burners if you couldn't get good combustion numbers or if they were actually rusted through somewhere -- and if they were actually rusted through, you have bigger problems...

How is the system running otherwise? Has the boiler been cleaned and the combustion properly adjusted?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    There’s a reason pricing is not allowed. 
    You can look at YouTube and see how to change the part but do you have a combustion analyzer to set it up properly? The knowledge to use the analyzer?  
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    The fact that there is a hole rusted in the jacket seems to be an issue, looks like either it isn't drafting properly or it is condensing because of sustained low return water temps.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @itzik

Looks pretty old, I would check to see if the burners are available before doing anything.

We can't talk prices here so please remove pricing.

You might want to plan for replacing the boiler would be money well spent
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,689
    mattmia2 said:

The fact that there is a hole rusted in the jacket seems to be an issue, looks like either it isn't drafting properly or it is condensing because of sustained low return water temps.

uhhh, look again, it's a steamer
    known to beat dead horses
    mattmia2
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Matt, it looks to be a steam boiler, so return temps probably not the issue.

This looks like a good candidate for an overfill test to see if any holes in the CI.
    That would settle the decision to buy new burners.

IMO, if the burner slots are not rusted shut, they can be wire brushed for cleaning.

But maybe the sections are not sealed for the combustion gases.

Could be time for new boiler.
    mattmia2
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    The flue pipe needs replacing due to rust as well.  I wouldn't be shocked if that boiler was sending steam up the chimney. 
  • itzik
    itzik Member Posts: 40
    Hi Thanks for all the advice. I Think it runs well not too many problems... Just need to replace the copper-coil every 1-2 years.
    It was filled with water all the way to see if there was a leak. Nothing leaked. It was never cleaned properly I mean the company I use Homeserve doesn't really do it. Strange
    - I didnt know i need combustion properly adjusted. I dont have a machine like that.
    - Probably better give this job to a professional.
    HVACNUT
  • DavidDow_2
    DavidDow_2 Member Posts: 11
    Your last words are correct. Hire a professional fluent in, and licensed in gas fired systems as well as steam, (may be hard to find). Also, for your safety, have a professional chimney inspector look things over. Seems there may be trouble with drafting.
    Saving lives is worth more than saving money. Some of my customers have difficulty reasoning that.
    Get a few CO, (carbon monoxide detectors) too.
    mattmia2delta T
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Your last words are correct. Hire a professional fluent in, and licensed in gas fired systems as well as steam, (may be hard to find). 
    Get a few CO, (carbon monoxide detectors) too.

low Level CO detectors. 
    Not the UL 2034 but Low Level. 
    SuperTech