Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing Taco Valve

kipbrau Member Posts: 16
Replacing Taco Valve with this designate (on back-456 1 1/2). Which valve would be a suitable replacement for this valve. It's rather old. Thanks for your assistance!


    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 13,149
    It's not a valve it's an air scoop. You can buy any brand you want. Taco, Bell & Gossett, Armstrong etc. If you have some $$ Spirovent is probably the best.

    You may or may not be able to buy one with the same end-end dimensions
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 4,870
    Why does it need to be replaced?
    The air eliminator looks new but you can remove that plug and add a 3/4 Hy-Vent. 
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,434
    Unless you have an issue with O2 ingress, the inside of that air scoop probably looks brand new.
    You can make the outside look new by painting it and changing out the vent.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • kipbrau
    kipbrau Member Posts: 16
    An air scoop. That is helpful to know what a thing is actually called. Thank you. The reason for my initial question was I suspected the air scoop (which I thought was a flo valve or check valve) is that in one zone of 2, when the boiler is on , the zone is heating when the thermostat isn't calling for it . Could it be a faulty zone valve? Both thermostats are new (ecobee). As always, thanks for the input!
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 13,149

    We would need to see more of your piping. If you have multiple zones it is usually done in one of two ways:

    (1) Multiple pumps, one for each zone with a flow check valve for each zone

    (2) One pump with a electric zone valve for each zone
  • kipbrau
    kipbrau Member Posts: 16
    Ed. thanks. I have one recirc. pump. I will post images that- hopefully- help solve this. Appreciate it.