Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Running MOD-CON boiler for Radiant Heat on generator during power outage-Any Suggestion?

Options
hcpatel78
hcpatel78 Member Posts: 151
edited August 2021 in Radiant Heating
Hi All,
I am just exploring the back up generator for my house. I also have radiant heat with Mod-Con boiler install which uses Natural Gas as a fuel. Do anyone have experience with the generator using to run this kind of the deliciated full of electronics combi boilers without damaging any electronics?
I was just reading that most of the generator is not supplying clean power (mean has Total harmonic distortion is around 11 to 15%) except those expensive inverter generator so...
I have Noritz CB199 model of Mod-Con and Grundfos Alpha II circulator in Radiant heat system.
Any advice...?
Thank you,
hiren
Thank you,
Hiren Patel

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    If you want to be safe -- particularly with a less expensive generator -- your best bet is to run the boiler through and UPS. Two advantages -- first, it will clean up the power. Second, it will carry the boiler for a while while you get the generator running. But get a good one, which produces sine wave power. They aren't all that cheap either, of course, but APC makes some good ones.

You may also be able to find some older -- like, very older -- brush excited generators which have pretty clean power.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    If it were me i'll roll the dice, but I would look for a used full time online UPS that just needs new batteries.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

If it were me i'll roll the dice, but I would look for a used full time online UPS that just needs new batteries.

That would work, if it worked at all!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    I have a whole house Koehler. Works fine. Dont go cheap.
    steve
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,542
    Options
    We installed a Viessmann WB2A 11/44 about 15 years ago in Camp Hale Colorado..
    This Off grid system is powered via a PV system with a backup Kohler generator switched via Outback..Back then Viessmann did not approve of this installation.
    To protect the boilers Electronics and give the boiler a good sine wave we installed a APC UPS and never had any issues.
    Zman
  • hcpatel78
    hcpatel78 Member Posts: 151
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Great suggestions. Thank you all.
    Thank you,
    Hiren Patel