Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

chimney swifts

Grallert
Grallert Member Posts: 643
Good morning folks. I have an issue. We have two big steam boiler that are off over the summer for service inspection and a much needed rest. They both vent into a large flue that has become the residence of a bunch of Chimney Swifts. I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue. I'd like them to vacate before I fire the boilers I'd rather not gas them out.
Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker

Comments

• SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    edited August 2021
    We get them in our chimney but they leave long before heating season. I just read that they are federally protected.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    @SlamDunk is right, on both counts. They will have left before you need to fire the boiler -- and they aren't just Federally protected, they are endangered, and harming them can result in MAJOR money.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Grallert
    Thanks guys I just did a bit of research and came to the realization. I'll hold off my preseason firing to the very last minute. I haven't seen them here before and would never want to jeopardize them. Thanks again.
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    edited August 2021
    They will always return unless you cap your chimney but since they don't cause any harm, eat lot's of mosquitos and are endangered I wouldn't cap it. One building owner here has an extraordinarily large chimney (a converted factory of some sort) and he let's people sit on the roof at dusk to watch them fly in and out and listen to them chirp as they settle in. Makes the news every couple years. Great for kids to watch! This is just one chimney here. there are many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky0d_TWNEfY
    PC7060
  • Grallert
    that's fantastic. I wont cap the chimney after learning they will leave in the fall. Not making much of a dent on the mosquito population this year. LOL
    SlamDunkPC7060