Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Trying to build menorah or antler for multiple maid o mist #1

Options
danmasri
danmasri Member Posts: 11
I have an approximately 55' run single main measuring 2.5" in one family home and currently have one clogged vent. I would like to get multiple maid o mist #1s as discussed on this forum. I think I can replace current valve with one maid o mist but was hoping someone had an idea of building menorah or antler to get multiple main vents given limited clearance. Current piping is 3/4".

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    Come out of the 45 with a street El pointing off to one side, aimed very slightly off horizontal up (to allow drainback). Close nipple, T, vent on leg. Close nipple, T, vent on leg. Close nipple, T, vent on leg... rinse and repeat as desired.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • danmasri
    danmasri Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Right now I have about 4" above the 45" elbow. So if I take off the vent and put a 90 degree elbow won't I cut from my 4" clearance and not have room to put in the vents. Was told I need about 4" to get maid o mist #1 in. 

What if I turned the 45" to make it horizontal instead of vertical and then started with the close nipple, T etc. Would that work or not enough height distance from main.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,477
    Options
    You can lower the height (1/2" or more) by putting a union right after the last 45. That lets you install the vents before fixing the antler in place.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
    Options
    I can't see what you have below that 45?

On mine, there's a nipple from the steam main into a 45 to get around a joist and that originally went into another 45. I removed the 2nd 45 and replaced it with a tee which goes to several tees on each side to give me 5 vents from a single 3/4" connection.

I didn't have much room, but it fit and on my system I haven't had any issue with water or debris.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ
    edited July 2021
    Options

Here's a recent picture I have on hand that shows the piping.
    It's not great, but it shows you what's what.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    My suggestion will give you ample distance to put in the vents, though I really like the idea of a union right after the street elbow before the first close nipple. Also enough height above the main. In fact, it's almost exactly the same vertical dimension you have now. Unlimited number of vents -- just keep going along parallel to main.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,477
    Options
    @ChrisJ Does your wife know you stole the thermostat from the coffee pot to use on the steam system?

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Another option for adding taller air vents is to "box up" between floor joists.

You see this on occasion, it can be done and finished out quite well if wanted.

Then you pipe off the main off to the raised box up. You could gain almost a foot of clearance.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    BobC said:
    @ChrisJ Does your wife know you stole the thermostat from the coffee pot to use on the steam system? Bob

And I'd like to keep it that way so Ssssshh!   ;)