Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Warmboard alternatives

Options
STEVEusaPA
STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
edited April 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
Does anyone have an alternative they like to Warmboard R? I haven't used it for a while. I just priced out a job and it came back at $10 sq ft. just to buy. Price has gone up.
Anyone have/like Ecowarm or another product?
Thanks
Steve

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Foam panels? I like the Roth Radiant panels. I'm getting ready to install some in my basement office. Floating laminate over it.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    STEVEusaPA
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,296
    Options
    Sunboard radiant panels from North Eastern Hydronics.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    IronmanSTEVEusaPARich_49
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    hot_rod said:

Foam panels? I like the Roth Radiant panels. I'm getting ready to install some in my basement office. Floating laminate over it.

Thanks. This will have 3/4" T&G solid floor over it.

EzzyT said:

Thanks. I'll have to check them out.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• woobagooba
    woobagooba Member Posts: 186
    Options
    My project. Existing sub-floor + 3/4" max height for the panel system + 3/4" T&G nailed over that. Liked the Roth but they recommend a nailing substrate be placed over the panels before the flooring went down. It is a kitchen so I want panels able to survive an occasional splash ... IMO has to be a plywood base to minimize panel swelling (I did dunk tests).

I've narrowed down to a low CAPEX option of RHT/Blueridge (cut your own straight sections of ply), mid range Ecowarm, high end Quik Trak / Climate Panel. Latter two are faster install, RHT more labor intensive. Uponor wanted substantially more $$$ for design/layout than the others.
    STEVEusaPA
  • archibald tuttle
    archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,085
    edited April 2021
    Options
    what about firring strips and omega plates? there is another thread going on on that right at the moment. yes, you have to work out the turns. I usually do either a chair rail or stand off baseboard to give me space for this so that my floor nailing is unaffected by turns in the floor (again I prefer working with 3/8 pex anyway which is easier to turn anyway).
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options

hot_rod said:

Thanks. This will have 3/4" T&G solid floor over it.

EzzyT said:

Thanks. I'll have to check them out.
    I did a 4000 sq ft home with the Roth Panels and it had walnut 3/4 T&G nailed over it, works great.
    It was a doctors home and he harvested all the walnut from his farm in Arkansas. Cut dried and milled it onsite.
    I did a few smaller ones with oak T&G nailer over it.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    STEVEusaPA
  • winfield1975
    winfield1975 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    hot_rod said:

Your comments on these threads have been very helpful, Hotrod. Question: Do you know where I can buy Roth radiant panels as a homeowner located in the Seattle area.

• woobagooba
    woobagooba Member Posts: 186
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I just had Climate Panel (same as QuickTrac) installed in a kitchen, pantry, mud, powder room.

We looked at Warmboard S and R, Ecowarm, Thermalboard, Rauboard, Roth Panel, RHT, and Sunboard.

Driving factors were a height restriction over an existing subfloor, ability to suffer occasional wetting w/o swelling or foil delaminating, and hardwood nailed over the top.

If I do the basement I will be looking at Roth with LVP over the top.

Cheers
    STEVEusaPA