Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking to update steam radiator in old San Franciscan building

ApartmentsSF
ApartmentsSF Member Posts: 1
edited April 2021 in Strictly Steam
Hi. I have an outdated steam radiator, 1 pipe system. I want to know what the best option will be if I want to update the heating system. Will it be more cost efficient to just keep the old system or to put in a hot water radiator. Do I have other options?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Don't really understand the question. If you wan't to replace a radiator yes that can be done
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,689
    a picture showing why
    known to beat dead horses
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    What's the matter with the old radiator?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 643
    If your thinking about changing the radiator yes that can be done. It's likely not going to improve the efficiency at all. If your reasons are esthetic or for space/location the answer is also yes it can be done. How to go about it is another matter. More details would be in order.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • ApartmentsSF
    Sorry all, I mean to say to replace the steam radiator with hot water radiator. Which one will be more efficient? Do I hae other options for a more efficient heating system. Thank you
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    A change to a hot water radiator would require changing the whole system to hot water, including the boiler.
    What makes you think your system is inefficient? If properly installed, and maintained, steam can be as efficient as hot water, and sometimes more than forced hot-air.--NBC
    ApartmentsSF
  • ApartmentsSF
    The tenants in the building wants to be able to control the heating. With the current system, they are unble to do that. In addition, the current steam radiator is very old and makes loud noises. What options do we have if we want to update the heating system?
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    All the options in the world...including many bad ones
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    So the sounds are the result of something wrong, probably something not being installed properly when the boiler was replaced, but there are lots of other possibilities, pretty much all of which can be fixed.

Is this one pipe or 2 pipe? @ pipe is very easy to add control to, it can also be done on one pipe but is less tolerant of bad design.

It is unlikely that the slight fuel savings of another type of system would make up for the cost of replacement of all of the piping and emitters. Fixing the problems with your current system could result in significant savings.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Are the apartments over or under-heated?
    Who controls the heat now?—NBC