Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Just for fun poll

Options
EBEBRATT-Ed
EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
If you were going to buy all new kitchen appliances what brand would you buy??

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    Whirlpool/Kitchenaid or Bosch. Maybe a viking or wolf cooktop or hood.
    ethicalpaul
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Fridgidare.
    Tinman
  • heathead
    heathead Member Posts: 234
    Options
    Bosch for a dishwasher. The bottom of the dishwasher is built as a pan so if it leaks it keeps it contained. That Wass how they where built 4 years ago. I would also get the ball bearing on the drawers it is so nice.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    Unlimited cash? I agree -- Bosch for the dishwasher. The one here is 15 years old, and the few problems its had (a leaky door seal and a dead soap dispenser) weren't that hard to repair -- and the parts were easily available. The ice box is a SubZero -- and we love it. Again, the only problems it has had were a bad solenoid on the ice maker (which we don't use anyway) and a bad door light switch, which again was easy to repair and available. Not sure about range and microwave. Those are both GE, and we've liked them, but... at least for the microwave, although we love it, the control board is dying and while it is available (and not hard to replace) the cost of a replacement board is actually more than a new unit would cost. This is not good.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mattmia2
    Options
    Bosch is one of the few dishwashers where the cycle isn't now 4 hours. I have a bosch dishwasher that is about 22 years old. I had problems with the heater relay in the timer until i replaced it with a relay with heavier contacts and added some solder and wire to better connect it to the traces on the board. I had to replace the inlet valve twice because the synthetic rubber seal in it degraded to a point where it wasn't holding. It could use a new door bottom seal after 22 years but it isn't leaking. It has the same pan with float switch arrangement described above. Those are relatively minor issues for a 22 year old appliance.

I have a whirlpool fridge that is about 15 years old, and viking cooktop and kitchenaid wall oven that are about 5 years old. The only problem that i have had with those is that the crisper drawers in the fridge are broken, likely from me trying to cram too much in them.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    Dishwasher Whirlpool, got one right now 17.5 years and hasn’t required anything just keeps going.  I’d estimate 6500+ loads.  Survived the birth of three kids, bottles etc. zero problems.  We just ordered a new one, but only replacing because of going stainless.  Also Whirlpool is the only one that offers silverware in the door, which, after having it, I’d never go back.

The rest I don’t have strong opinions on.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    I have an old GE dishwasher in the condo.
    It's original to the building 1984 It looks like crap and needs to be replaced but it works flawless and has never been touched. Cleans dishes better that any dishwasher I have ever had.

Still have 1 of the original GE through the wall ACs 1984 12,000 btu. It had a leak 15 years ago that I had a devil of a time finding, chafed tubing I cleaned it out a little, fixed the leak, 15 min evacuation and no dryer.

I looked it over at that time and decided it was too old to waste any time on. Figured maybe get through the summer with it.

15 years later still running

if I didn't jinx it

Stuff was made good back them
  • mattmia2
    Options
    Old ge appliances were built like a tank, my mom has a hotpoint electric range from 1968 that the previous owners of the house bought, but sometime around the early 80's someone said make it cheaper and i wouldn't buy GE appliances mate after that. My friend lives in an apartment with all ge appliances, had 2 dishwashers that never removed the food from your dishes, the electric range works but is awkward and the oven takes forever to preheat, the controls on the microwave are cumbersome.
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Kitchenaide and Maytag. That is what I am converting too as needed. After updating kitchen with ge appliances ten years ago, we were miserable. The oven door never closed tightly, dishwasher bottom melted and leaked, ruining the floor, the washmachine wants to take a walk while in spin cycle- sometimes it starts washing on its own in the middle of the night. I have come to believe that ge employees knew they were to be sold and sabatoged the products. Wish I knew!
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,159
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Bosch Dishwasher super quiet, I’ve had reliable service simlar to Br. Jamie’s comments. 
    LG refrigerator, washer, dryer
    Aga Elise 48” range - this is my wife choice but I’m glad she didn't pick Wolf or Viking 

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    Options
    I just picked up an Amana washer and dryer that someone left out for the junkman. The price was right.
    The dryer works great, ya know, it spins and blows hot, humid air out the tailpipe. The washer does not seem to have that much agitation. but the clothes come out cleaner than when I put them in. So I guess that is a plus.

It is amazing what Americans will throw away. No one wants to take the time to at least donate good operating appliances to charities like Good Will that can sell this stuff for people who can't afford to buy new. At least that is what I plan to do when I purchase a new one.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    PC7060
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 884
    Options
    if its a budget, I buy least expensive, with longest warranty. I kind of know things are built to fail today. I hate that thinking, but knowing that, I want to be covered as long as possible and hope the failures are easy to repair.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • mattmia2
    Options
    Note that Kitchenaid is Whirlpool's higher end branding so it may be a Whirlpool design with more features or just a Whirlpool design with a higher price. Maytag was bought by Whirlpool about 15 years ago so I'm not sure if anything Maytag design still exists or if it is all just rebranded Whirplool at this point. Both Whilpool and Maytage designed stuff was well made. i think there are some dhumidifiers out there branded as Whirplool that have nothing to do with Whirlpool. Some of their cheapest refrigerators also looked questionable.
    PC7060Solid_Fuel_Man
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,907
    Options
    I spent tens of thousands buying "top of the line" washer/dryers over a 10 year period but was always throwing parts at them or screwing around with error codes, and the clothes never got clean. About 3 years ago I thought I'd give the cheap junk a try since that's what I put in my rental properties and never have complaints, and the $200 no-name dishwasher I bought 13 years ago will still wash paint off the plates, and I can't brag enough about the W/D. I think the matching pair was about $800 from HD and our clothes have never been cleaner nor has there been one single error. Sure, they're not as attractive and they use more water, but I don't care. When I dribble ketchup on my shirt or wipe pipe dope on my jeans I want it gone, and these junkers get it done. I'm still running a 20 year old fridge and oven/range with nary a problem too. At this point I'm going to continue buying whatever is cheap but fits our needs without being Chinese
    PC7060kcopp
  • SlamDunk
    Options
    I still like Kenmore appliances. Replaced my fridge with a Kenmore and am happy with it. It is an LG but built for Kenmore. When my W/D gives out, I will look at Kenmore to replace.
  • Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 267
    Options
    Not Frigidaire (or Electrolux).  Also consider buying the extended warranty.  I seldom do, but did when we bought a new Whirlpool fridge,  and was worth it. 
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Sub-Zero, Wolf or Genn-aire
  • mattmia2
    Options
    Jenn-Aire is whirlpool as part of the maytag acquisition but comes off its own line.
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    Can I vote for the old Litton? My parents had one just like this for decades and never a minutes trouble. Thing was a tank, I remember when they replaced it because my mother wanted something prettier. The guys showed up and said "what is that thing?" and "How are we supposed to move it?" These all in ones weren't very common from my experience.

2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • mattmia2
    Options
    The all in one with a second upper oven was pretty common, the all in one with a microwave was less popular.
  • ch4man
    ch4man Member Posts: 296
    Options
    KC_Jones said:

Can I vote for the old Litton? My parents had one just like this for decades and never a minutes trouble. Thing was a tank, I remember when they replaced it because my mother wanted something prettier. The guys showed up and said "what is that thing?" and "How are we supposed to move it?" These all in ones weren't very common from my experience.

i used to fix those 100 years ago, hated'm. all the wiring behind the control panel was a lovely shade of red. every one. had to look for the little numbers in the ends of the wires to trace them
    mattmia2
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    ch4man said:
    i used to fix those 100 years ago, hated'm. all the wiring behind the control panel was a lovely shade of red. every one. had to look for the little numbers in the ends of the wires to trace them
    It’s funny you mention wiring.  Ours had the microwave on top, and back then in our neighborhood a microwave was unusual.  We had a babysitter come over and decided to cook in it, using a metal Revereware, copper bottom pot.  I was maybe 4-5 years old, told her don’t do it, she ignored me.  Well the sparks were cool, but it burned up the wiring and just made a mess of things, including melting down the pot handle.

My mother had bought a 10 year warranty and protection plan on that range and they came out and rebuilt the whole thing, wiring, etc. for free under warranty.  My dad made a mahogany handle for the pot that’s still on it today, about 40 years later.  Range worked great for about 20 more years.

I worked for the power company for about 7 years doing drafting.  In a substation about 90% of the wiring is grey, no numbers.  The wiring diagrams are the only way one knows how things are wired.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • heathead
    heathead Member Posts: 234
    Options
    KC-jones, Love the pot handle story. I made a pot handle with my dad when I was younger, Mom loved it. Old handle was plastic and broke. Today I can't ever see making a wood pot handle with my son that my wife would use in our kitchen. I think 40 plus years later my mom still uses that pan today.
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Options
    In case everyone didn’t know whirlpool makes KitchenAid, Maytag, Jenn air, kenmore.  

I lived in st Joseph, Michigan for a while where their hq is.  

That being said and probably get a Bosch dishwasher but KitchenAid fridge and stove.  

I stay stay away from LG and Samsung. Had too many friends have issues with them and Samsung was found to be illegally product dumping in the US a few years ago to undercut whirlpool market share.  
    mattmia2
  • SlamDunk
    Options

In case everyone didn’t know whirlpool makes KitchenAid, Maytag, Jenn air, kenmore.  

I lived in st Joseph, Michigan for a while where their hq is.  

That being said and probably get a Bosch dishwasher but KitchenAid fridge and stove.  

I stay stay away from LG and Samsung. Had too many friends have issues with them and Samsung was found to be illegally product dumping in the US a few years ago to undercut whirlpool market share.  
    Maybe the same manufacturer, but definitely different qualities. Whirlpool makes Roper too BTW.

Whirlpool made a washer/ dryer for kenmore that was(is) unavailable to any other retailer. It was even different from other whirlpool w/d's and it was the best I have seen. Bought them from Sears for my mother 20 yrs ago. After the first wash, she squealed in disbelief. Mama Mia! the clothes came out of the washer dry! It has a wicked spin cycle. Both W/D are still running.
  • mattmia2
    Options

Kenmore used to be almost exclusively Whirlpool. Around 15 years ago they decided they wanted to buy something cheaper so now you have to look carefully to make sure you are getting whirlpool.

Are you sure whirlpool made the combo and they didn't buy it from someone else? Those are very common in europe and many european manufacturers make them, or maybe whirlpool bought it from someone. I have a vacuum cleaner branded as kenmore but that was made by whirlpool. I couldn't find a non sears branded version. It turns out sears pressured whirlpool to buy some other company that was their small appliance supplier and the stuff that company made was more or less only sold through sears.

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,675
    Options
    We had a upper end Kitchenaid Dishwasher from 2011 - 2019 and it did pretty good but only went 7 years before I started replacing things and then by 8 it was done. We now have a bottom of the line Bosch and it's not so great. But I have several family members with near top of the line Bosch dishwashers and they love them.

It seems like the more expensive ones do clean better, but they don't seem to last any longer.

Personally, I'm not happy with any of the brands.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    My Revereware pots and pans, (sadly no longer made), have been in use for at least 40 years!
    The lids will hang on pegboard hooks, and their stainless color matches the stainless counters, and stove top, (Norge, C. 1960).
    If I am in a thrift store, I will always look for extras. I missed out on a very early one, with metal handles instead of plastic recently, (in somebody else’s shopping cart!).—NBC

• ChrisJ
    Options

My Revereware pots and pans, (sadly no longer made), have been in use for at least 40 years!
    The lids will hang on pegboard hooks, and their stainless color matches the stainless counters, and stove top, (Norge, C. 1960).
    If I am in a thrift store, I will always look for extras. I missed out on a very early one, with metal handles instead of plastic recently, (in somebody else’s shopping cart!).—NBC

My fridge turns 88 this year.
    Back when GE make a quality appliance.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • mattmia2
    Options
    i have a reverware set from the late 90's that is the reason they no longer make reverware. the stuff i actually cook with is mostly allclad and a few nonstick lincoln/wear ever/volrath fry pans
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

i have a reverware set from the late 90's that is the reason they no longer make reverware. the stuff i actually cook with is mostly allclad and a few nonstick lincoln/wear ever/volrath fry pans

I saw Allclad I think on How It's Made and I've wanted to buy a set ever since.
  • mattmia2
    Options
    I just have a couple individual allclad pans, a large sauce pan and a smaller saucier. They do most of the things that I need the super even heat of the aluminum core for.
  • archibald tuttle
    archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,085
    Options
    there's more than one?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

My fridge turns 88 this year.
    Back when GE make a quality appliance.
    I have a big set of Revere that was my moms, she got it as a wedding present, must be at least 70 years old!
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    mattmia2ChrisJ
  • Ctmgp7609
    Ctmgp7609 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Bosch dishwasher. Fridgidare (Amana Fridge - with the Dutch doors. Great fridge) Viking gas stove. Don’t like to mix and match, but.....
    I am a plumber, it used to be when you went in a house, everything was ALL American Standard , faucets , fixtures, Even the heating system and water heater. No continuity anymore... maybe that’s a good thing
    Ctm
  • Voyager
    Voyager Member Posts: 394
    Options
    I’m unsure now what to buy. Bought Kenmore (Whirlpool) for years and had very good results. When we built our house in 1999, we loaded the kitchen with Kenmore and washer and dryer as well. When the washer died three years later, I found that it was not a Whirlpool (110 code), but a Frigidaire (417 code). What a piece of junk these units are (I have repaired them many times). The kitchen appliances held up well for 17 years when the over the range microwave died. The wife decided she wanted something other than the white appliances and at 17 years of age, I figured we were on borrowed time anyway. The wife liked the look of the GE finger print resistant slate exterior so we bought a full suite: range/oven, microwave/hood, refrigerator and dishwasher. We gave the old Kenmore appliances to one of our kids.

Well, the trouble started on installation day when the range was DOA as one of the burners would not ignite (cracked porcelain on igniter) and the microwave died on its second use (magnetron failed). So, a 50% infant mortality on the brand new appliances. After those warranty repairs, things have been pretty good for the last four years until last week when the ice maker quit making ice. The repairman came and said the defrost heater was bad, but he also suspected the main board so he ordered both. Turns out the heater was fine, and the main board had failed. So, after $450 we are back in business.

So, I am not a fan of Frigidaire washers and dryers nor GE kitchen appliances. And, I might add, that my faith in Whirlpool was shaken as we bought a cheap Whirlpool top loader to use while I was replacing the drum bearings and seals in the Kenmore/Frigidaire front loader. This was the second set of bearings as the entire drum was replaced under warranty as Sears did not spend the time for just a bearing replacement. I can see why after spending 5 hours replacing mine. Back to the Whirlpool washer - the top loader lasted only 6 years before it started leaking water. I swapped the rebuilt Frigidaire front loader back in and tore the top loader apart for repair. Turns out the drum had completely rusted through and was not salvageable. The cost of a new one wasn’t worth it for a $400 washer so we junked it.

Thankfully, it has been close to 6 years since I rebuilt the Frigidaire front loader using high quality Nachi (Japanese) bearings and seals (the OEM looked to be Chinese) and, knock on wood, it is holding up well.

So, I am not sure what I would buy, but I will not buy Frigidaire or GE for sure and I am not less certain about Whirlpool which used to be reliable as an anvil.
    Mosherd1
  • REMIXME
    REMIXME Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Sigh, alas. Been through this recently and regret the day I replaced my working old full-sized Amana fridge for new energy efficient model. Love to save energy, but did not realize the new builds in applicances are pretty much mostly all trouble because they all share common components such as terrible unreliable thermostats. Had several different brands therms behave intermittently wonky, as well as fridge defrost timers. Guessing mostly made in same cheap factory. $5 parts. Had to buy small compact fridge THREE times (different manufacturers) until got one with a good thermostat and zero warranty backup (even though one theoretically existed). Last working reliable compact (larger sized) fridge ended up being GE of all things ! In the laundry room, only one choice: SPEED QUEEN for absolutely sure ! Of course, the old 70's Maytags are great too. Looking forward to a company in the USA finally figuring out there is money to be made in designing new reliable basic electronic components. C'mon, we'd pay more to get a reliable appliance, wouldn't we ?? hmmm, or would we ?!!
    Thanks for ideas !
    Voyager
  • Voyager
    Voyager Member Posts: 394
    Options
    I would pay more for sure, but it better be reliable.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    Looks like the consensus is that it is all JUNK.

Which is why I posted the poll
  • Albany Chris
    Albany Chris Member Posts: 38
    Options
    If I had to pick one brand, probably LG or Samsung. But I wouldn't...
    As a landlord with 22 full kitchens I have learned never to buy Electrolux or GE. Bosch dishwashers for sure, but not the cheapest line as they don't have the base that holds water and stops leaks (priceless). I put those even in my lower end apartments because in the long run they are cheaper than a less expensive brand / model. LG and Samsung have difficult getting repair parts and service guys but are much more reliable and better made. I hate Maytag less than most domestic brands so that is my favorite domestic. Electrolux is a usually few bucks cheaper than other brands, but I have learned there is a good reason and its not worth it. GE has just become cheaper and cheaper (except for there super reliable 18cf fridge with the crinkly sheet metal) and their customer service has become completely useless. I never go there any more.