Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need recommendation

mpotts
mpotts Member Posts: 1
I'm not a builder and have no experience in the heating and cooling industry so, in the words of Michael Scott, please talk to me like I am 5. My situation is this: We finished our basement for our elderly parents to live in. We just have one thermostat in the house (upstairs), and so we are finding it difficult to regulate the heat downstairs. It can be comfy upstairs but 60 downstairs (when cold outside) even when we've adjusted the duct work to maximize heat flow down there. I'd like to get them a heating source that they can control themselves downstairs, that can heat their main living area, which is about 500 square feet. I'd like it to be standalone (not built into the wall), easy for them to control, and not dangerous (mom has dementia, so it cannot have a blazing hot surface). What are my best options? Note this would just need to supplement the main heat, i.e., nudge the ambient heat downstairs from low 60's to maybe 70, when cold outside. Thanks so much. Matt

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hello, I'm sure that you'll hear lots of options, but a few simple oil-filled electric radiators would likely get you by pretty simply. If your electric rates are high, than not so good. Here's a picture of one. Having lots of surface area means it doesn't need to get all that hot.

Yours, Larry
    mpotts
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Probably a ductless mini split which would also provide separate a/c.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    mpottsHVACNUT
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    What climate? Location? Could add a minisplit heat pump to the space. IF it rarely gets under 15F it would likely provide plenty of heat.

Could add another register. Often the furnace is in the basement. What is the current heating system?

Otherwise, an oil filled electric space heater/radiator is a safer option too adding some heat as shown.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Basements have a completely different heat load loss from the rest of the house due to being surrounded by the earth. 
    Ideally a in floor radiant heat with a good dehumidifier. 
    Second a heat pump again with a good dehumidifier 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    If you have gas available a vented gas space heater would work but is more $$

Cheapest way out that will work well is electric baseboard. Put a wall thermostat to run the baseboard and leave it at 70 degrees or so. It will only run when the furnace doesn't provide enough heat.

500 square feet a couple of 6' baseboards would do it