Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

general question regarding boiler piping

Options
nytech28
nytech28 Member Posts: 67
 I have a question regarding boiler  supply & return line piping.I had a experience plumber say he pipes a boiler supply line on one side of boiler & return on the other side of boiler , & not have any problems, but if you would talk to manufacturer for that particular boiler ,they recommand piping inlet & outlet to the same side to get full capacity ,I dont want this to be a silly question,but  would like to get someone opinion on this subject.

Comments

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    well, what does the manual say?
    follow the manual,
    or get the alternative approved by manufacturer, in writing.
    known to beat dead horses
    bucksnortCanucker
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    How do the water molecules know which side they arrived from? Can you name the manufacturer, I'd like to see their manual. Is this a hot water boiler or a steam boiler?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    bucksnort
  • nytech28
    Options
    neilc said:
    well, what does the manual say? follow the manual, or get the alternative approved by manufacturer, in writing.
    manual says supply & return piping needs to be on the same side of boiler 
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    What model boiler?
    Steam or hot water?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    Just follow the manual.

Some boiler MGFs give alternate locations. Hot water the return can usually be in the front or back.

Steam you have to follow the manual or it won't work
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    If it's a Crown AWR series hot water boiler, the manual is quite specific:

Alternate Return Tapping - An unplugged 1-1/4” return tapping is provided on the left side of the boiler (see “Piping for Special Situations” below). Use the nipple and cap provided to plug whichever return tapping is not used. Both the supply and return connections must be made on the same side of the boiler.

They say the supply and return must be on the same side. As a naturally curious person I wonder why this must be, but the logical side of me says there must be a good reason or else they wouldn't be so specific about it.

Maybe the pros here who have opened these up knows.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • nytech28
    Options
    I figured you guys, would say the same thing ,regarding following manufacturer guide lines ,not sure why some plumbers do there own thing some times, when the manual say otherwise.thank for for helping out.
  • nytech28
    Options
    Zman said:
    What model boiler? Steam or hot water?
    its s hot water  boiler manufactured by crown model #AWR140BNST3PSU 
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,835
    Options
    You most likely won't have any problem over the life of the boiler... BUT... how a boiler is designed on the drawing board and subsequently approved to be manufactured and ultimately installed is all outlined in the manual provided. If it says to use the same side, there is a reason. It may have something to do with efficiency or how the designers want the water to flow thru the heat exchanger. The path of least resistance designed in the castings can be allowing the water to flow thru the end section differently than the center sections. The only way to be sure if your piping is a critical problem or a minor problem is to call tech support at Velocity Boiler.

I know Bob if he still works there, but John is the senior tech support guy. Either will be able to answer your query. Your piping design may void your warranty on the cast iron sections.

How long have you owned the boiler?
    If new, Have you paid in full yet?
    Assuming you have already paid in full, how well do you get along with your installing contractor? Will he listen to reason? or are you stuck with it?

This will steer your questions to Velocity Boiler Tech Support. If you are stuck with it, you don't want to offer up your serial number to them. They can void a warranty on a serial number based on your "piping in accordance with the instructions" issue.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics