Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lineset in new construction

Options
I am in the planning phase of new construction for a basement walk out home that is on a significant slope. I will be using multiple mini splits and would like to place them next to a wall at the lowest point of the property. This wall will essentially be a concrete wall (foundation). How should I approach getting the linesets through the wall. Have the linesets “set” before the foundation pour or drill holes through the foundation at a later time? I really don’t want to have them run vertically on the outside of the foundation.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Install PVC sleeves in the forms before the concrete is poured. You’ll need at least a three inch diameter sleeve for each line set. You can probably get two line sets through a four inch sleeve depending upon the size of the tubing of the line set.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    ratioEdTheHeaterMan
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,631
    Options
    If it's being poured, nothing beats the convenience of a sleeve already in the wall when you're ready to pull in the linesets. The next most convenient thing is to hire someone else to drill them.

Once I actually bought a Chinesium wet drill & 4½" core bit for a one-off job. Total cost was under $300, and I have the drill for home use now, too!

• ratio
    Options
    How long until the spam link gets added?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,868
    edited November 2022
    Options
    ratio said:

How long until the spam link gets added?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlx94yQ_3hA

C'mon... I should at least get an LOL from @ratio

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

ratioDJD775
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    I tugged mini lines through a 2" PVC conduit once (tight). We had long radius ells at the ends. Needed some 2x4 leverage to do it (got super tight at the end) but it worked. Next time it will be 3" PVC
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ratio
    Options
    Use talc to lube the Armaflex™. I learned that from the beer guy, watching him pull in the lines to the taps.