Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Saturday abandoned wall mini-mystery

Options
ethicalpaul
ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,705
So today I'm fixing my wall adjacent to my living room coat closet. The plaster had broken away when I removed the panelling and wallpaper that was there.

When I was in there looking at it today I found a mystery. There is wall plaster in there, including the white coat, facing into (behind) the interior corner, see below:

This "hidden" wall is parallel to the wall on the left that is under the stairs.

From circled area above:

So why was there ever a finished plaster wall here? Let's go to the blueprint!

My first thought was, maybe there was no stairway to the basement here originally. I have bulkhead doors to the basement on the back of the house. Maybe there was a storage space under the stairs. But when I look at the blueprint, it seems apparent that the design has basement stairs on it.

But here are some other photos of the area from the other side:

The door to the basement in the kitchen:

The top of the basement stairway. Maybe there's something behind those boards? Maybe that's the same finished wall I can see in the living room corner with something run behind it and covered up with the boards (like plumbing or wiring, although I don't see any sign of any above or below it):

The first floor boards in the basement stairwell:

Why is that finished wall hidden back there?
NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,357
    Options
    Something behind the boards... but what? And why? And when? That's part of the fun of older houses!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • bucksnort
    bucksnort Member Posts: 167
    Options
    That's where the gold is Matey!
    ethicalpaul
  • Jon_blaney
    Jon_blaney Member Posts: 316
    Options
    The drawing is of the design. What you have is the as-built. That plaster should be on the basement stair landing wall. The closet wall structure is on the closet side of the wall instead of the stair side, therefore the boards to cover up the goof. Or, it could be that the stairs are narrower the planned. Or, it is just to make you nuts.
    ethicalpaulLS123
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,068
    Options
    On the print, the basement stairs look to be narrower than 2nd floor stairs.
    The left hand wall of the closet would have to picked up the load of the double floor joists for the second floor, then hopefully transfer that load down to the first floor double.

Is your hidden plaster behind the sheetrock wall?
    The SR may have been installed to cover up cracked or beat up plaster.

You have to pull the rock off now so we will know. >:)
    LS123
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,553
    Options
    I agree wit @bucksnort

The gold bars may be in their!!!!!

Is it possible the plastered the house and built the closet after the fact?

Doesn't make sense though