Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Press Fittings

Options
Wirenut
Wirenut Member Posts: 9
Can press fittings be used on near boiler piping

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Oh yes!
    Not a good idea for steam naturally...
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    Press both Viega pro press (copper) and Mega Press (steel) are approved for LP steam under 15 psi. Most on this forum frown on both especially the copper for steam
  • Wirenut
    Wirenut Member Posts: 9
    Options
    OK thanks
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 904
    Options
    I would use these when I needed a quick fix with the customers understanding that I would return when the system could be shut down to "do the job right". My 2 cents.
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,542
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Absolutely... :)
    The first joint i pressed close to a boiler was 40 years ago near Frankfurt Germany..I was about 16 at the time.
    I think the first manufacturer of a black pipe press was a Mannesmann system which we used on both residential and Large commercial Jobs.
    These systems are still up and running..
    BTW...So much for Viegas claim that they were the first introduce pressable fittings,they were not !
    Of course the old timers and the Trade Unions did not like the system at first, but given some time you could pry it from their "Cold Dead Hands".
    A lot of Oxy-acetylene torches,treading equipment and Hemp got put to rest and making your bends by filling the pipe with sand techniques also started to get retired.
    With Viega's 50 warranty on the joints against leaks we Press about 95% of our joints.
    Viega also has a high temperature O-ring...However,be Careful with Solar and other high temperature applications! :|
    Richard.

ethicalpaul
  • sunlight33
    sunlight33 Member Posts: 378
    Options
    Need FKM o-ring, not the EPDM type.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    Well I guess we are about 20 years into the Viega 50 year warranty so time will tell!!
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,159
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Well I guess we are about 20 years into the Viega 50 year warranty so time will tell!!
    I always wonder what will happen after the 50 years are up!  Let’s hope there’s a 2-1 safety factor!  :D
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    edited March 2021
    Options
    PC7060 said:

I always wonder what will happen after the 50 years are up!  Let’s hope there’s a 2-1 safety factor!  :D
    Some of the early rubber radiant tube had a lifetime warranty.
    What does a fitting warranty cover? A new fitting or damage & repair?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    bucksnort