Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Algae

Options
icy78
icy78 Member Posts: 404
Got a 4 story office building with approx 20 VAV boxes with 30% propylene.
 These are low gpm reheat coils of .6 to 1.2 gpm. They all have automatic balancing valves. 
. This is what I found in one of them on the top floor. Its thick and slimy.
  I found a problem with the extank and have fixed that.
  However, definatly for many weeks, possibly months and maybe years,  the boiler relief has popped, draining back into the glycol makeup tank, while the pressure has dropped below atmospheric up by the open auto vents and allowed air to enter, before the makeup can catch up.
  So my conjectured senario is the above, and that caused /allowed algae to grow.
 It that probable? Also there is a bag side stream filter that gets   black muck in it. They say theres usually that much twice a year. So say ½ cupful each time.
  There is also a pic of water treatment report, which says things are all good, which I dont know how to decipher.
The office heat line is this system. 
I think this needs a good flushing and chemical cleaning and new glycol. Altho I want to talk them into straight water. It's been converted to glycol after there were 2 separate instances of coil burst due to lack of low SAT shut down in the old RTUs.
(New rtus now and it would not be a big deal to add redundant shutdowns.)
Anyhow, really needing input on how to proceed, or to read.
Thanks!

Report from this year this month.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    Oh just lovely. It surely does need a good biocide cleaning. the whole system -- because those biofilms which you are seeing where you can see them will also be all through the piping as well. There are a number of approved biocides; some of them are less hazardous than others. Chlorine -- in high concentration -- works, but there are others which are better.

The system will have to be circulated, biocide introduced, allowed to work, then you will have to flush the dickens out of it and do it again. And, probably again.

Some o those biofilms are quite hazardous to human health, so it might be best to find a specialty company to do the work -- and guarantee it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    icy78
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    Yes, glycol degrades when it contacts air and causes all sorts of issues and water treatment is not my thing so I will leave that to others.

You going to have to flush and clean and may have hazardous waste to dispose of. There are companies that do that
    icy78
  • icy78
    Options
    Thanks guys. Kind of what I was thinking.
    Wondering if @Hotrod has any thought too.
        I think this type of situation is rare maybe?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    @icy78
    Not rare. I don't know the installed life of glycol but i think its only 5 years or so an it has to be maintained

I have seen systems get screwed up when the glycol goes bad
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Man I hate glycol.....
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • icy78
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Man I hate glycol....
    No kidding! Pump losses, heat transfer losses, mess, biologicals, expense. And now ALGAE.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,262
    Options
    DOW wanted customer to send samples regularly and then DOW sold stuff that kept inhibitor functional. That was for chilled water closed systems. Cooked glycol is probably worse.

DowCorning offered superior (they said) silicone thermal fluids. Then the silicone boob debacle dampened DowCorning's appetite to innovate.