Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam pressure too low?

Options
bwroga
bwroga Member Posts: 44
After reading about it in "We Got Steam Heat", I checked the pressuretrol to make sure it wasn't set to high. It was set to 0.5 with about a 1.0 differential. It was kind of hard to tell because I wasn't sure exactly which direction the number on the differential dial was supposed to face.

I then turned the thermostat from 65 to 70 and waited for it to get to about 68 before checking the pressure gauge on the boiler and it was at 0, not anywhere close to even 0.5. Is this something I need to be concerned about? We have no complaints with the heating ability of the system.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    Presumably you were looking at the required 0 to 30 psi gauge? If so, you won't see anything on it. If the system is heating nicely and not cycling, it's probably running at no more than a few ounces -- that's ounces -- of pressure -- until all the radiators are hot and all the vents close. Which is exactly what you want.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Canuckerbwroga
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    The job of the pressurtrol is this: “Oh crap why the heck is my pressure this high, turn the boiler off NOW!”

You don’t want pressure, it isn’t necessary nor desired for proper function of the heating system.

Be happy you aren’t getting pressure it’s a good thing.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Canuckerbwroga
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    A pressure gauge is most accurate while measuring in the middle of the range. Code requisite 0-30 # Gauge so it’s not accurate at all
    Canuckerbwroga
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    If you really want to know, you can add a 0-3 PSI along side the 0-30 gauge.
    Many here do that.
    CanuckerbwrogaRomanGK_26986764589
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    @bwroga

Be happy. It's working the way it's supposed to work
    Canuckerksd99bwroga
  • bwroga
    bwroga Member Posts: 44
    Options
    That's great news. Thank you! I feel so lucky that the system is running so nicely. I had only lived with steam one time before buying this house, and back then, it wasn't my responsiblity!
  • lockdown_lou
    lockdown_lou Member Posts: 15
    Options
    I installed my 3psi gauge today. 

It maxed out at 0.15 psi (2.4 ounces) recovering from a 2 degree setback.   Amazing how it’s possible to heat the house (and 18 radiators) with so little pressure.