Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for steam radiator valve that’s also a bleeder

Options
bito1993
bito1993 Member Posts: 1
Hello, I have run into this radiator valve that appears to be both a bleed of air at stem and control flow with valve. I have tried reaching out to Sommerville and Sommerville specialties but they have not heard of a valve that does both. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or has anyone run into these type of valves before and can tell me where I can order them from? On the valve itself it shows “the trane company” but still can not know. 
Thank you all so much 

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    Air bleed? Honestly, never heard of such a critter --but that's a pretty standard Trane radiator inlet valve as used on their vapour systems, and it can be used on -- or, if it's failed, replaced by any pretty much standard two pipe steam radiator valve.

It should not be releasing either steam or air from the valve stem or valve body.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Ironmanbito1993
  • bito1993
    bito1993 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    10-4. I just did some more reading on how steam works and I get it a little more now. I think I will have to check also if there are vents closer to the boiler and see if those are working properly. Because it’s happening to 3 radiators. Either that or my steam traps aren’t working properly and may have to replace. I think customer told me they’re 15+yrs old. I will go back and double check and go from there. Appreciate you brother @Jamie Hall 
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    Check your cutoff pressure. Excess pressure (in the case of Trane systems -- pretty much anything over 1 psi!) may cause the seals on the valves to leak.

Excess pressure also may well have damaged traps...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,660
    Options
    If one steam trap is bad, the steam in the return after that radiator heats and the steam moves past the failed trap can prevent the air from being able to move out of other radiators