Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

3/4 line reduced to 1/2 for a hydronics heater . help please

Derake14
Derake14 Member Posts: 1
I have a single 3/4' water line ran through my house' going to base board heaters in each room.
we remodeled the kitchen and went with a beacon morris wall panel heater to gain floor space.
So here is whats bothering me.
Its requires me to reduce the line from 3/4 to 1/2 to go through the "H" valve and the panel heater then out and back up to a 3/4 to go through the rest of the base board heaters in the other rooms.
Looking at the "H" valve, it seems to really reduce the size. i just cant imagine the other base board heaters {down line} in the other rooms are going to get enough flow
Should i not use the 'H' valve in line?
I question going from 3/4 to 1/2 back to 3/4. but i have no choice as the panel is 1/2"

Really needing advice

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    The lines to the heater need to be piped off with a monoflo Tee.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    HomerJSmith
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Yeah, your right do not reduce it. You will starve for heat in the other rooms because your restricting the flow.

Instead Picture your existing loop and cut two tees in it. The branch of each tee will go to the new heater. The first tee should be 3/4 x 3/4 x1/2" standard copper tee. That tee should be the supply side, so boiler water enters that tee. Then you install a 3/4 x 1/2 Venturi tee. You can buy them at Supply House .com. Put the two tees about 8' apart and 18" away from any elbows in the main. The venturi tee branch connects to the new heater return.

Give me a few and I will post a sketch to make it less confusing
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Can you post the model of the heater you are installing?
    How many feet of baseboard heaters are in the loop? Upstream and downstream?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    I am not sure if it the same H valve that I am thinking of for panel radiators, but I believe it is basically a monoflo tee in itself. If that is the case, then it is ok to plumb it that way.
    Rick
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    The "H" valve he is referring to is simply a bypass that if the TRV on the panel rad is shut it will bypass the radiator and still give some flow. The piping still needs to be done w/ a diverter/ mono flow set up.
    HomerJSmith