Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Foreign Object in Boiler

Options
Short story - I accidentally got a 12" piece of thin string inside the boiler. Should I purge the whole system ASAP or can I wait a few months until I do it for the spring shutdown?

Longer version - I work anti-corrosion tablets into the boiler via the skim port. For several years I have been doing this via flexible shaft gripper. But to work around the right angle of the skim port I tie a piece of bank-line (string) around one of the prongs and tug it to work the shaft around the corner. It always works. But today was the first time I ever pulled the shaft back without the string on it.

I skimmed a bit to see if it would float out but it did not. Have I screwed up my system? Is it going to get into the LWCO and ruin it?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,395
    Options
    Don't fuss. It shouldn't hurt anything.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    arbalest
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,954
    edited January 2021
    Options
    If it is not floating on top (since it did not skim off) then it is most likely on the bottom and will probably stay there. Normal maintenance of the LWCO (Weekly flushing) will let you know if it gets in there. As long as you keep up on the proper maintenance you would be fine.

Or you can take @Jamie Hall's advice too

Why are you trying to play with string near a boiler anyway? Trying to fly a steam-powered kite?

Yours Truly,
    Mr.Ed

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

arbalest
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,710
    Options
    i bet no one will ever see it again
    EdTheHeaterManethicalpaul