Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant Heat Panel

seanbeck1
seanbeck1 Member Posts: 23
Im a plumber. Not a huge amount of experience with heating and boilers. I work mainly ICI.

Recently finished a home project of updating my cast iron radiant heat system. Home was initially controlled with 1 thermostat. Wanted to have control of all three floors independently.

Some input from the experienced heating guys would be appreciated!

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,427
    Nice work.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,691
    Nice piping. Odd to see the air purger on the return. Is the expansion tank connected to the purger?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Rich_49
  • seanbeck1
    It looks really good. What kind of boiler? It looks like a standard type. How are you protecting it? I think most people here would like to see the circulator on the supply side pumping away from the heat source if you do have a standard boiler.

(I realize this is over simplified) 
    It’s a Slant Fin Galaxy 100MBTU Conventional boiler. Do you mean protection from expansion? If so, the expansion tank is hidden in the ceiling. 
  • seanbeck1
    hot_rod said:
    Nice piping. Odd to see the air purger on the return. Is the expansion tank connected to the purger?
    Yes although being a plumber, this is where my lack of heating experience/knowledge comes in. In hindsight I probably should have put the air scoop on the supply. Seems to be working great though. No issues. 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,975
    @seanbeck1

Really nice job. The consensus is to pump away from the boiler supply with the expansion tank and air scoop/make up water in between.

Really nice, in fact I don't see any solder on some of those joints
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,186
    edited January 2021
    Does that still use your CI radiators? I only ask because of the subject of the post.

The workmanship looks great. I might put a bushing or grommet where the wires and pex go through the metal plate. Is it running antifreeze?
    seanbeck1
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    When are you going to solder it? :D
    It looks great. What are your typical return water temps?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • seanbeck1
    @seanbeck1 Really nice job. The consensus is to pump away from the boiler supply with the expansion tank and air scoop/make up water in between. Really nice, in fact I don't see any solder on some of those joints
    Thanks! I like my solder joints neat!
  • seanbeck1
    mattmia2 said:
    Does that still use your CI radiators? I only ask because of the subject of the post. The workmanship looks great. I might put a bushing or grommet where the wires and pex go through the metal plate. Is it running antifreeze?
    Yes I’m supplying cast iron radiators. I probably should have put grommets where my Uponor piping comes through the back but I drilled the holes 1/2” bigger. It’s not running antifreeze. Just water. 
  • seanbeck1
    Zman said:
    When are you going to solder it? :D It looks great. What are your typical return water temps?
    Haha thanks! I’m getting 180 supply and 160 return temps.