Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HYDRONIC HOT WATER RADIATOR STONE COLD

HELLO,

DEATAILS:
-8 TOTAL RADATORS
-ONLY ONE RADIATOR HAS NO HEAT
-RADIATOR THATS COLD, VALVE STEM HANDEL FEELS STRIPPED (POSSIBLY STUCK CLOSED)
-SOME RADIATORS GET HOTTER THAN OTHERS
-BLED RADIATORS, WATER CAME OUT ALL RADIATORS
-HEATING TECH THINKS BOILER NEEDS TO BE REPLACED, I DON'T BELIEVE HIM

WHATS A SOLUTION TO FIX THIS ONE RADIATOR? WHATS A TYPICAL COST TO SOLVE THIS ISSUE?

THANKS,

PATRICK

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Well, costs we don't do. Sorry. No prices.

However, a new boiler isn't going to do anything for a cold radiator, so you can leave that suggestion aside.

It's quite possible that the valve is shut -- and stuck or stripped. The fact that you can bleed water out of it is helpful -- at least it itself may not be airbound, which be a nuisance, but doesn't say anything about the inlet valve, since the water can hustle around through the outlet.

If it really is quite cold, and the feed pipe up to the valve is cold, the valve is what I'd look at.

Unfortunately, it's not quite as simple with a hot water system to fix it as it would be with a steam system, so before someone starts tearing things apart, try this: take the handle off the valve and using a pair of vise-grips, see if you can turn the valve stem at all -- even a little bit. The stem should turn counter-clockwise to open, viewed from the top, to open.

Let us know what you find.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Well, if the valve's stuck, that's where I'd start.

"Tech" thinks the boiler's bad because one radiator doesn't heat? "Tech" needs to go make an honest living.

Sorry, pricing isn't allowed. Besides, no one could give a price without first diagnosing.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @Ehbaseball025

What @Jamie Hall said.

You don't change a boiler because 1 radiator won't heat. You bleed it and get water because it can come through the return even if the supply valve is shut.
  • LS123
    LS123 Member Posts: 466
    @Ehbaseball025 definitely listen to experience individuals in this forum..... unfortunately, many moons ago, i used to live in fairfield county and Petro was the oil dealer, boiler tech, sales person that came to my then house... first it was the oil tank needed to be replaced, then the boiler, then some radiator heaters (hot water) etc... I must of spent a lot of money than I want to say here... unfortunately based on my experience they are sales driven and seems like they like making money.... now I know much about heating systems, If I were you, if you cant resolve it on this forum, please get a second opinion... there is a contractor section on this site... sorry I could never trust them again!! its the Petro greedy sales commission based structure that had got me.. perhaps they may be different now... but after seeing you and others post... it looks like that company is still the same...

here is the link to heatinghelp forum's find a contractor link...
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    edited January 2021
    No heat=No flow. That was easy.

The hard part is finding out why you don't have any flow. Flow is the conveyor belt that moves heat energy around the sys.
    LS123
  • flat_twin
    flat_twin Member Posts: 350
    Can you elaborate on "the valve feels stripped, possibly stuck closed" comment? If it won't move, you could try slightly loosening the packing nut under the handle to allow the valve stem to turn easier. Just back it off a 1/4 turn.