Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

can I add Rectorseal 8-way boiler treatment to a radiator

PatB
PatB Member Posts: 40
I have steam boiler heating system. Can I add 8-way to one of the radiators? thanks

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    If your looking for a a place to add it I would not put it in a radiator. Take the safety valve off the boiler and put it in there if there is no other plug or cap you can take out
  • PatB
    thanks, could you tell me where is safety valve located?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    It's on the boiler -- usually on top or on one side. However, a question -- and a comment. The question is -- why do you think you need to add the Rectorseal? Unless the boiler is misbehaving badly, there really isn't any need to in most systems, and even then there are maintenance things which should be done first.

The comment is... I have a feeling that you are a bit over your head here. Please correct me if I am wrong -- it's very hard over an internet to get a good idea of how capable and comfortable people are. But if so, where are you located? We may know someone in your area who is really good with steam systems and can help you out.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • PatB
    edited January 2021
    @Jamie Hall , you are right, I am over my head, no doubt. I am in Bergen, NJ. The system has been maintained for years, the previous owner tried to make quick bucks when he purchased the property. he didn't no maintenance. I am trying to catch up. The water drain from the boiler was dirty. a video from Youtube said to add 8-way to it. a plumber wants $$$ to add it. I thought a bit too much, right?
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,250
    edited January 2021
    Steam is a niche skill set today. You are lucky in that you are on the east coast and there are steam knowledgeable professionals out there that can help you out. I think you will be dollars ahead to hire the right person (not a plumber) to come out and advise you on your system.

I'm one of the more gung-ho DIYers on the wall. I'd get a steam guy if I were in your shoes.
    I DIY.
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,692
    you have a couple of good contractors in your area,
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/
    known to beat dead horses
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Try @EzzyT -- click on his name there and you can send him a personal message. He's one of the very best in the business, in my estimation anyway.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England