Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

new pressure gauge for steam, no more than 5 or 10 PSI max

Options
LS123
LS123 Member Posts: 466
Hello All,

I have been trying to find a another bottom mounted pressure gauge for my steam boiler. one that is there has 30 PSI.

I have seen somewhere on this site that somebody was able to find a low pressure gauge.

I want low pressure gauge because it would give me more details as to when the heaters start getting heat at how many ounces, cut off at exactly about how many psi, etc...

See attached... unfortunately the one I found 5 Max PSI (and it has a dial of 10 ounce increments. This gauge would not work with Steam.

Thanks !
Thank you!
@LS123

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    Options
    A search for 0-3# pressure gauges bring up a lot.
    LS123
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    There are at least 5 choices on Amazon... but you must also keep the 30 psi gauge; it is required by code and your insurance. You can add the low pressure gauge, but not substitute.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    LS123
  • LS123
    Options
    @Jamie Hall @pecmsg . thank you both. Jamie appreciate the additional details on requirements for building code and insurance and having a 30 PSI gauge!
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    If you read the fine print concerning gauges they may not say "steam approved".
    That would be directly connected to steam.
    Your pigtail isolates the gauges and controls from the actual steam.
    The pressure gauge is actually reading the water pressure of the pigtail loop developed by the steam pressure on the bottom of the water loop.
    You can confirm this by feeling the top of a pigtail with the boiler well steaming, it will be cool.
    Then feel the bottom of the pigtail and confirm that it is steam hot....ouch!
    LS123
  • LS123
    Options
    yes, yesterday I ordered a one the realized later on it can not handle the temp of steam boiler. So I asked UPS to return after I spoke with their cust service. this one from Grainger was kinda expensive too

Then got this one after I spoke with a local heating and plumbing store and I was told it will absolutely work with steam heat boilers... But as @Jamie Hall pointed out (so glad he did) that I needed to keep the front mounted 30 PSI gauge. 3 psi is connected to the Pig tail.
    Yes, I realize that .. oh yes... it was a BIG OUCH :'( , it was HOT when I try to put the 3 psi gauge while the steam was coming from the other side... so right know I am happy I have a new pig tail, clean unclogged pipes, and clean OLD P-Ttol... all of them are working in harmoniously :smiley:

this one is on thethe pig tail

Thank you!
    @LS123