Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What can I do better next time? (pics!)

Options
ratio
ratio Member Posts: 3,626
I'm done with the piping on a snowmelt/carwarsh heating system. Please take a look at the pics & tell me what I could've done in a better way. The manifold is crooked, I didn't realize when I was landing the ¾ PEX that it was moving. I'm not yet sure how I'm going to fix it. Bringing the PEX up underneath the boiler wasn't my idea either, but I think that part turned out ok in the end.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    It looks fine. Question, why not put the manifold over to the right, above where the pex comes out of the concrete? And move the boiler to the left a little.
    I’m not a fan of expansion tanks piped that way, but I like the hydro claws.
    steve
  • ratio
    Options
    Boiler was already mounted when I got there. I didn't run the PEX, but I also didn't tell them it was a bad idea to bring it up underneath the boiler, so that's my bad.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,837
    Options
    I agree with @STEVEusaPA Looks good, but the expansion tank labels are not placed on them upsidedown. So if the label is upsidedown, the tank is upsidedown. They are strategically positioned out of view in your Photo. Not a big deal, but the tanks will last longer installed properly. like 8 years instead of 10 years ...not a big deal.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    If the boiler can handle the glycol, you can eliminate the hx altogether. I have never heard that the exp tank installed that way is an issue, how can that cause premature failure? I prefer not to install them directly under the air sep as they end up with all the debris on the bladder.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited January 2021
    Options
    The diaphragm in the tank is designed to hold the weight of the water, based on the orientation of that weight. By reversing the angle of the weight on the seam where the diaphragm meets the tank, the stress is not at the optimal angle. Or maybe all the manufacturers of these tanks just don't know which end is up. I could be wrong. I only read the instructions on that part once, over 35 years ago, and followed that procedure the rest of the time I was installing them. The instructions may have changed since then.

But, I don't care anymore. I'm retired.

Respectfully Submitted
    Mr. Ed
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Zman
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    Follow-up
    It might have been in a seminar offered thru the supply house I was buying from. I do remember something like that, but it was long ago and it does not matter anymore because, if it is true then we all sell more tanks if we install them that way. If not then we all sell the same amount of replacement tanks. Either way, it's not going to fail until after the warranty has expired.

I just have this thing about making my jobs last longer and doing the best job I can for my customers. If you don't know what you don't know, then you can't do the best you can. My advice, to the youngin's: NEVER STOP LEARNING!

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I honestly don't know for sure either. It seems to me that all floor tanks would be upside down if that was the case.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • ratio
    Options
    I mounted the tanks like that because there wasn't space to mount them under the Spirovents, and it would be even more piping to put them right side up. It seems like they'd be even more stressed when they're being used as a storage chamber for dirt collectors. I put a dirt leg under there, but the more I think about it the more I think that was unnecessary. It also rendered one of the valves on that nice Webstone assy redundantly duplicated.
    Zman