Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ventilation left behind from old radiator?

ryceratops
ryceratops Member Posts: 4
edited January 2021 in Strictly Steam
So I just bought a condo where apparently prior owners had the old radiator removed and replaced with a heating cooling system that you can see in the pictures.

It appears that the pipes were capped off, painted over, and weird little bumpers placed on top of them. However there is also a small vent that is on the floor behind where it was that looks like maybe it was an exhaust? Out on my patio there is another vent and the air seems to be coming through the two openings. (You can yell in the hole and be outside on the patio and hear it through the vent like a microphone lol.) 

It wouldn’t be an issue except the neighbors are apparently smokers and when they are smoking it blows through into my apartment through that hole.

I want to seal it off, but I don’t know enough about old radiators to know for sure if this will be  dangerous or an issue down the line if I do.

Anyone know anything about this type of issue or if I should reach out to some type of professional?

In the bedroom they also installed a new ac/heating unit and it had all of the wires covered with a makeshift box that I would like to replicate in the living room after I make sure that covering the vent isn’t going to be a problem. There doesn’t appear to have been a radiator in this room and there is no vent to outside.

Attached is the link to a bunch of pictures I took.

Thanks!!

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    Some pictures may help
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ryceratops
    ryceratops Member Posts: 4
    Sorry it’s hard to see but there’s a link to imgur a few lines of space down from “Thanks!!” 

It’s in orange
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Cute. What do you suppose they were thinking? I think you can seal that off without worrying about it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • heathead
    heathead Member Posts: 234
    My first thought was old dryer vent? I would get a can of spray foam and do a little at a time, it really expands and sticks to everything also tape plastic on floor and wall so you can clean it up if it overflows. Simple fix for now is to stuff a towel in it.