Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Garage heat

3zht
3zht Member Posts: 18
Hello!
I have a Lochinvar wall hung unit that supplies hot water to the baseboards around my house. Due to the amount of baseboards I have, I am able to keep the temp below 135F. This is great for efficiency but one of my zones is a garage heater which obviously needs water closer to 180F. What do you guys think the best way for me to increase the temp on that one zone?

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Run the garage zone along with the rest.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    Does that zone have its own circ? Can it be wired to run using the DHW priority pins or is there already an indirect water heater? Upsize the garage heater possibly to run with 135 degree water?
    mattmia2kcoppZman
  • jinbtown
    jinbtown Member Posts: 40
    I'd do the same as the second comment - anytime a zone is calling for heat, the garage zone is on as well.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    The newer Lochinvars have multiple setpoints that can handle 3 different temps. The downside is, unless you add a mixing controller and mixing valve, the boiler runs the hotter temp to all zones when the higher temp zone is calling.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    If the other zones are baseboard, wouldn't be a huge deal to run higher temp water to them when the garage is calling.
  • 3zht
    3zht Member Posts: 18
    Thank you for all the answers.
    Zman said:

The newer Lochinvars have multiple setpoints that can handle 3 different temps. The downside is, unless you add a mixing controller and mixing valve, the boiler runs the hotter temp to all zones when the higher temp zone is calling.

This seems to be the most viable. I believe they make a loop temperature control unit that I may try. I wasn't sure if I would need to replumb anything to make that work though.

• HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    edited December 2020
    You probably need an 'A-or-B' control or go with a higher temperature and throttle the zones needing a lower temperature. A 3-way zone valve would do the trick or with restrictive flow controls. The Taco I-Series setpoint mixing valve would work, but would require work. haha

You can't have 2 temperature governing the primary circuit at the same time as you rightly thought.

As mattmia2 says, you can run the higher temperature with baseboards and the thermostat will shut the zone down if you have zone valves, but you would spend more for gas which would be a waste as the garage thermostat would shut down that zone and the boiler would be operating at a higher temperature all the time.

I would have to look at my manuals. But as memory serves me, Lochinvar has 3 thermostat connections and supply sensor connection and you would need 2 primary circuits with a pump on each operating in a 'A-or-B' situation. No matter what you do it sounds like work.

What model Lochinvar?