Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Which model B&G Series 60 Pump is this?

Options
motoguy128
motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
edited December 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
I have a B&G 60 series. I fear the primary tag was on the motor that has long since been replaced. Current motor is 1HP, so I think it’s a 1-1/2x7 looking at the size of the pump housing compared to motor diameter. Am trying to get and estimate to rebuild it vs. replacement. Pump is siezed and motor blew a 15A TD fuse immediately so I think it’s shorted internally. We don’t have a motor tester. Probably overheated windings as the bearings seized, but the 20a fuse let it roll.

Here’s the tags I have.

Comments

• motoguy128
    Options
    On a side note, the system has a direct primary Burnham IN-11 (350k input) and a older NTI Trinity with its own boiler pump. I re-piped it on closely spaced tees in series on the return, rather than in parallel. Boiler nominal flow would be 30 GPM. Total system flow I’d estimate is 35-40GPM.

Would it be better, and more efficient especially with a modcon as the swing boiler, to replace the zone valves with 5 zone pumps? OR alternately put in a Magna VS Pump. Any thoughts?
  • motoguy128
    edited December 2020
    Options
    The Trinity has seen better days. Exhaust is a little crispy. Needs a section of PP pipe in there.

Picture after I re-piped it on the header. System had no good way to remove air. Just a single vent on the boiler. This helped a lot.

Notice the labels on the boiler are wrong compared to manual. I uhhhh... might have switch it before I looked in the manual, and had to switch it back. Not the first time I’ve found a boiler in my area piped backwards so I assumed the labels were correct.

It ended up needing the flame rod cleaned and a pressure switch tube repaired to get it going. It needs an external LWCO added too. System expansion tank is in the wrong location. The NTI is also in the wrong location, should be before the main system pump, it located after so have to be careful on system pressure setting not to lift relief.

I really stepped in to a mess.

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    I believe you can back into it by the 13S and 1.5 x 7 numbers. That's how I remember doing it.
    Steve Minnich
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    Between the name tag on the motor and the one on the pump casting you have all you need. A B & G rep or you supply house can match that up for price and availability of a new one

The motor is a standard Baldor 56C frame that's an off the shelf item.

Since it doesn't run what have you got to loose? Pull it out. Put a blind flange on the pipe connections if no valve to isolate.

Take it to a motor shop and have them take a look Probably faster to have it fixed then to wait for a new one as that is large enough that it may not be a stock pump
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,862
    Options

That exhaust is way too hot!
    ZmanTinman
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I would be very concerned to be part of a paper trail in a boiler room with a vent pipe which is that "krispy". It looks like a huge liability.
    Not knowing anything else about the B&G circ, that's a big circ on a small pipe. Was it sized correctly to begin with?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Tinman
  • motoguy128
    Options
    Zman said:
    I would be very concerned to be part of a paper trail in a boiler room with a vent pipe which is that "krispy". It looks like a huge liability. Not knowing anything else about the B&G circ, that's a big circ on a small pipe. Was it sized correctly to begin with?
    I considered that.  I told them I can’t touch the exhaust and won’t touch it.  It’s not leaking.  I lowered it down to a reasonable temp.  Guessing it got warped when the main boiler got up over 200f at some point.  The way it was piped water always flowed through it.  

The really sad part... the main boiler has a state if Iowa inspection sticker on it from 7 months ago.  

Now that I’ve corrected the piping somewhat, can probably shoot them a reasonable  quote for replacement.  

Good question on pump sizing.  In need to measure the total length of baseboard to know what the max load is in each zone.  But I suspect it’s a little big.  I pinched it back a little to improve delta T.