Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bought a new property last month and converting to gas heating. What boiler should I get?

Options
zendavis
zendavis Member Posts: 1
The plumber I hired to do the gas installation is recommending the VITODENS 100-W. However, in looking up up this model, I'm seeing a number of negative reviews that have me questioning his choice.

This property would house six people with baseboard heating. I know nothing about plumbing and heating installation and would like some advice as to whether we should go ahead with this model.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    Nothing wrong with the Vitodens that I know of. If you're counting on on-line reviews, remember that they are heavily biased towards the negative. People who are happy post a review ar less often than people who aren't...

That said, the actual make o the boiler -- within limits -- less important than the skill and knowledge of the installer. He or she must size it correctly and install it -- venting, piping, pumps, tanks, wiring controls, the lot -- correctly. That done, most of the better known boilers are fine. If that's not done, even the best of them won't perform properly.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,862
    Options
    The installing contractor is more important then the name on the boxs.

Properly sized boiler
    Following the manufactures instructions and best industry practices for the piping
    Properly sizing the radiators or emitters

Choose the contractor wisely!
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Which model 100-W?
    The B1HA would need an indirect water heater. The B1KA is the combi.
    With 6 people, the indirect might be preferable. IMO, Veissmann in general is an above average product. But like they☝️said, the installer must know how to follow the manual.