Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

leaking

Options
one more time. Leaking old steam radiator from bottom. Ordering replacement - 2-weeks out. In the interim, as I need to heat the room a bit, anything to do to reduce water (dripping into pan) as we're dumping the water q 6/8 hrs? Valve, air valve, ? thanks

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    If drying it out and removing as much paint and rust and what not as possible from the entire circumference of the joint that's leaking and then covering it with JB Weld's marine epoxy... no bright ideas.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Mark929
  • Mark929
    Mark929 Member Posts: 72
    Options
    @Jamie Hall any thoughts on type of replacement. $600 for used in Malden and ? Pex universe sells new replacements in NJ - uncertain what to vie for? thoughts?
  • mikespipe
    mikespipe Member Posts: 36
    Options
    try mikes pipeyard in the bronx the sell both new and used radiators
    Mark929
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    In NJ I had no problem finding two nice rads for $50 each on Craigslist from a guy doing a gut reno of an old house
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    Mark929
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,284
    Options
    Here are some places where you can buy used radiators: https://heatinghelp.com/systems-help-center/where-to-find-used-radiators/
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    Mark929
  • Jellis
    Jellis Member Posts: 228
    Options
    never tried furnace cement on a radiator... but I'm thinking it would work for a couple of weeks...
    anyone confirm this?
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    The one time I tried it, in some desperation, it cracked off.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Jellis
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    I'm thinking something from the jbweld/filled epoxy family would be the thing to try. Isn't there like an epoxy soaked cloth patch kit for automotive radiators? Maybe a JB weld radiator weld kit.(even though it is for automotive radiators, maybe it would work on a heating radiator).
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

I'm thinking something from the jbweld/filled epoxy family would be the thing to try. Isn't there like an epoxy soaked cloth patch kit for automotive radiators? Maybe a JB weld radiator weld kit.(even though it is for automotive radiators, maybe it would work on a heating radiator).

Or the JB Weld marine weld product -- the only disadvantage of which is the working time is very short.

Whatever, with all of these, the secret is to get the surface you put them on really really clean. Bright metal, no grease or oil, etc.
    Br. Jamie, osb