Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steel pipe threading between joists and on installed heating branches

tecsol1
tecsol1 Member Posts: 11
How common is it to thread steel pipe between floor joists or on existing radiator branches to repair fittings without removing the existing pipe and fittings, which are closed up?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Not very. While it can be done, if you have the necessary clearances for the threader, it's far from easy.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    tecsol1
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    edited December 2020
    Much easier to use a mega press to make connection those tight spaces. If I much to run, I’d use copper. Do you have a exposed MPT end you can work from?
  • tecsol1

No, no exposed end, that's the issue
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    How about some pics?

You can almost always break a fitting with two hammers or by cutting and/or grinding it.

Depending how tight the quarters are, a pony threader like a Rigid 700 or Milwaukee 18v.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    We thread them all the time if at least 10-12" between joist and pipes are not right against joist. Of course if there is a fitting up in joist we grind off and reattach. They are a bit tricky sometimes. We are doing a repipe right now that I have 4" between joists where 3/4 drops through joist to below ceiling level. No can do unless GC wants to cut out joist and sister one up after. Not on this one but they have many times. Good luck.
    Tim
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
     No, no exposed end, that's the issue”

No idea what you’re referring too. Really need a picture. 
  • tecsol1

The connections on the left side are feed on the right, radiator to first floor on the left, and 2nd-floor feed in the middle. The right side connection, hard to see, are the return version for the same. The two tees are what burst.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited December 2020
    I see only two realistic options:
    1. IF you can fit a pony threader in there, you're gonna have to add unions to be able to reconnect everything.
    2. Mega Press would not require unions and looks like the better option.

Either way, you'll probably need to open up more of the ceiling for better access. Patching a larger section shouldn't really cost much more, but trying to repair the pipes without proper access certainly will.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    JUGHNEPC7060tecsol1