Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is everything ok on this gauge?

Options
maroo
maroo Member Posts: 30
it’s a it’s a gas boiler. I just turned it on about 12 minutes ago. I don’t know anything about these but I was wondering if everything is normal on the gauge after running for 12 minutes? 

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Looks ok except for the red max pressure indicator. It goes in the center hole. Line up the needle to 30 psi.
  • maroo
    Options
    If it isn’t lined up is that dangerous? 
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,338
    Options
    maroo said:

If it isn’t lined up is that dangerous? 

That red needle, as @HVACNUT said, is the maximum pressure indicator. It's function is to tell you what the maximum pressure the system reached at some point.

You don't want it to line up with 30 -- 30 is the maximum pressure before the safety valve opens. But it is useful to know what the actual maximum is; somewhere around 20 to 25 psi would be more or less normal.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Is it heating OK?
    Have you had anyone service it?
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    If you confirm pressure is about 12psi, and the temperature is about 170°, all is good.
    You should actually be concerned about the flue pipe and the wrong foil tape (or why there is foil tape) on the flue pipe.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

PC7060marooSuperTech
  • maroo
    Options
    I don’t know it was like that when I moved in this apartment. Is it dangerous for the tape to be on there? The maintenance here doesn’t seem to know what they are doing maybe I should call the gas company 
  • mikeapolis
    mikeapolis Member Posts: 46
    Options
    It might be a great idea to have a technician out. They could confirm what pressure the system needs and the condition of the rest of the equipment, i.e. expansion tank, circulator, venting...
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,864
    Options
    Can you use metal venting on that boiler?
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,170
    Options
    If you confirm pressure is about 12psi, and the temperature is about 170°, all is good. You should actually be concerned about the flue pipe and the wrong foil tape (or why there is foil tape) on the flue pipe.
    I would remove the tape. It doesn't belong on flue pipes. It isn't serving any purpose and could be on there just to cover up poorly put together fittings. 
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,170
    Options
    pecmsg said:
    Can you use metal venting on that boiler?
    Yes, metal venting is ok with that boiler.