Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

argo arm 6p transformer leaking oil

Options
hi, my furnace has not been igniting when there is a heat call, and it works after I restarted everything. Opened the argo box, found there is oil on its 30va transformer, the argo will need to be replaced right? thx.

Comments

• pawnyou2020
    pawnyou2020 Member Posts: 7
    Options

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    You can replace that transformer, if that is in fact what's 'leaking'.
    steve
  • pawnyou2020
    Options
    thank you for the help. does it look like the transformer is leaking oil which would cause the e fuse to blow intermittently?
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    I can't tell anything by your picture. Fuses usually blow from surge/shorts or bad cube relays.
    steve
  • pawnyou2020
    Options
    what does the grease material on the transformer look like? at first I was pretty sure it is transformer oil leak. thx
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,847
    Options
    That is a dry transformer. No oil. 
  • pawnyou2020
    Options
    thx. any idea what the grease material is?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    At a guess, varnish. There to help keep the laminations together and reduce hum.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Is the oil wet, sticky or dry? As said these are dipped in a form of varnish to seal the unit.
  • pawnyou2020
    Options
    it is dry. so I guess the transformer is solid so it is not the issue? it is normal for the 30va transformer makes a humming sound right?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options

it is dry. so I guess the transformer is solid so it is not the issue? it is normal for the 30va transformer makes a humming sound right?

It's dry? It's varnish. And yes, it is normal for a transformer to hum. Some more so than others. While it is possible to build a transformer which doesn't (at least as much) the efficiency is much worse -- or the cost is astronomical. Or both.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • pawnyou2020
    Options
    back to square one for me. bummer. thx for all the help. guys.