Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PEX A or PAP for above floor panels

Options
WillC
WillC Member Posts: 23
Hi,

The Modern Hydronic Heating book recommends to use PAP for any type of aluminum panel to avoid expansion sounds. The Roth panels I am looking to install says PEX A is fine and no adhesive is required.

What's the best technique? PAP, Glued PEX A or just PEX A?

How bad are the expansion sounds on an above floor panel system with PEX A not glued? Where I live PAP is double the cost of PEX A, so that's quite the upgrade.

Thanks.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I’ve never had expansion noise problem on any of our installs, but we always use ODR which mitigates it. 

We always use pex a with plates or staple up applications, but PAP has far less lineal expansion.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Zman
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    There are no noises associated with PAP, but it is not typically installed in above floor applications...5/16 Pex is and a heat transfer silicone is used in the grooves for both Climate Panels and QuickTrac. WarmBoard uses 1/2" and when these applications use a motorized mixing valve and variable speed smart pump, there is no noise. PAP is often used to supply the radiant manifold, as it's half the price of copper.
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    Options
    With ODR and constant circulation -- the only noise I have is on initial start up. I have used 1/2 PAP for a small retrofit plate area I had in one house ... it worked fine and fit into the groove w/o issue.

Typically use regular
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    The Roth panels have a very tight grip, unless you break the foam under the groove. If you nail the flooring or underlayment that tightens it even more.
    PAP is a bit tricker to work with, you need a good uncoiler to avoid kinks and so it comes off and spirals.

I have not tried it, but I think the PERT might be a good match, seems to be more flexible? I like that the EVOH layer is protected in the 5 layer tube.

https://plasticpipe.org/building-construction/bcd-pe-rt.html
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • WillC
    WillC Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge, really helpful!