Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air vents

Options
Hi all
so I have a 2 storey 1940 Craftsman home. Peerless boiler single pipe steam system. 
I’ve replaced several air vents on the radiators and some of them continue to vent / hiss even when the radiators are hot. I’ve checked and corrected pitch when needed but it’s pissing me off they vent enough that I have to top up the water every week. 
Normal or am I missing something?

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    Options
    How much water does it take to "Top Off" the boiler? Are we talking gallons or just a few quarts? (less the 30 seconds of opening the feed valve)

I think that a quart or 2 a week would be acceptable. the hissing of the vents is more of a problem. A properly sized vent system is relatively quiet. what is the pressure setting on your controls? Is there a working Main Vent at the end of each main steam pipe?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Limey68
  • Limey68
    Limey68 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi Ed
    Between couple quarts and a gallon
    Pressure switch on boiler is set at 2 psi
    I’ve traced each vent starting closest to the boiler and they seem to be operating correctly. What’s puzzling is a few new air vents on the radiators seem to be staying open. Just today I changed one out for another new one and that radiator is quiet now.
    is there a high failure rate on these vents from new?

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    Where did you get the vents and what brand/model are they?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    @Limey68

Does your system have any main vents?
  • Limey68
    Options
    Paul
    Home Depot, Plumbers Edge brand with either .04 or .05 hole depending on rad location 
  • Limey68
    Options
    @Limey68 Does your system have any main vents?
    Ed I see vents close to the boiler and at the end of some main lines. Look original and initially vent then shut off so I assume they’re working correctly. 
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Limey68 said:

Paul
    Home Depot, Plumbers Edge brand with either .04 or .05 hole depending on rad location 

Oh dear. Well, go to StateSupply or someplace like that and, for main vents, get yourself some Gorton #1s and for the radiator vents get some Vent rite #1s.

I'm sorry to say this, but the Home Depot vents have not proven to be very satisfactory.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    Yeah I’m not really a HD hater but for vents they are absolutely horrible. My go-to is Maid o Mist from supplyhouse.com

Under $10 each 
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Limey68
    Options
    Thanks guys, I’ve taken note of suggested brands. I’ve now changed out 2 rad vents and the system is running much quieter. 
    Must be a crap shoot with the Plumbers Edge brand but I’m learning as I go. 
    Merry Christmas to all 🍻