Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Estimated Electric Meter Readings

Options
deyrup
deyrup Member Posts: 62
Curious if anyone had this happen to them before. We have National Grid as our electricity provider and there was an electric base board heater switched on for a month by accident in October so the electricity bill was high (724 kwh) and they had someone read the meter so that number is accurate. We switched off the heater in November and National Grid didn’t send someone out to read the meter so they estimated the bill as high again even though when I read the meter usage is low (169 kwh).

We ended service at the end of November so we won’t get any credits back the next time they read the meter. National Grid won’t send someone to read the meter until another 8 days into the cycle so now we are stuck paying for whatever usage the current tenants uses until they read the meter, and seriously hoping that they don't switch on the electric baseboards. When I called National Grid said there was no way to manually enter the meter usage, even though their website claims that is possible, but the link is dead.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    So.... looks like you’ll have to wait.
    steve
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    Normally wouldn't you end your service with the utility and make the tenant get service with the utility?
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    In the past I have been able to read the meter over the phone to a utility when I didn’t like their estimate 
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    I'm quite sure the PUC only allows estimated readings in certain circumstances. However they are not allowed to charge you for electricity which you haven't used. 

You will get a credit. Hopefully you have a picture of the meter (along with its serial number which is/was attached to your account) that would be sufficient for the credit. 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    Zman
  • deyrup
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I did take a picture, but evidently they will only accept a read from a technician. It seems like they take wireless readings, because no one has ever been in my basement and there are no meters outside; so I don't understand why they can't just take another reading remotely. To put this into context this is hundred of dollars difference in the bill, because they charge $.23 kwh.

@mattmia2 We did end service but we are still on the hook for the bill before the tenant moved in. Tenant moved in on Dec. 1 so we paid for October and November.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Post the pic you have of the meter. I, and a few others, are quite familiar with various electric meters and the aftermarket devices used to make the older ones remote read. 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • deyrup
    edited December 2020
    Options

@Solid_Fuel_Man I looked it up and they use AMI to do remote readings, but that requires people to drive by to pick up the reading. National grid came out and took a reading and I got back half of the bill.

My state evidently blocked installing smart meters for reasons I don't understand.

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/massachusetts-rejects-smart-meter-rollouts-as-competitive-energy-undermines