Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

replacing leaking1 1/4 brass angle steam radiator valve

DougP
DougP Member Posts: 13
now realize that the old crane valve is about 3/8 higher than newer models, my replacement is a Blue Fin , but have looked at other brands Hammond, Red White and others seem to all be shorter in length from the bottom of the valve to mid angled opening. Tried to make it work with
a black pipe close nipple and collar, but overshot by inches, would rather not have to jack up radiator, any suggestions on where to find a suitable replacement ?

Comments

• Just fix the old valve-repack or new gasket on bonnet.—NBC 
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,701
    The supply pipe couldn't be pulled up huh? I must be lucky, all mine have had lots of slack (probably from my house settling 4 inches LOL)
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • AMservices
    AMservices Member Posts: 610

You can try finding a extension nipple. It adds about an inch. Might have to raise the radiator up. 
    But then as @ethicalpaul mentioned, you can usually get enough play out of the pipe if you pull up on it. 

DougP
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,275
    You did replace the spud in the radiator with the one from the new valve, I hope?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mattmia2
  • Dave T_2
    Dave T_2 Member Posts: 64
    edited December 2020
    I once cut the legs on a radiator to account for about a 1/2" difference that had few other easy options. It worked and looked good - even used 4 furniture cups and you'd never know.
  • DougP
    DougP Member Posts: 13
    yes I managed to get the spud out of the radiator without breaking it, guess I am doing it again, I have found and ordered a marsh R-100A that has the crucial matching measurement from the bottom of the valve to the to the middle of the angle (1 3/4) Marshes are several times as expensive but reportedly nice. thank all for valuable input. I am interested in restoring the old one for possible redeployment, looks like the washer is toast