Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hammering noises, water shooting from vents, lowered temperature. Mngmt changes vents repeatedly

2»

Comments

• SandiT
    SandiT Member Posts: 87
    It would not surprise me one bit if he tampered with the vents, he is a very nefarious character generally speaking. So is everyone on the board and management. Actually one of the board members was the real estate agent who sold the apartment to me and put me in a bidding war. If only I lost that war I wouldn't have these issues. Anyway, that being said the radiators finally got warm at 6am with tons of knocking and clanging, but I guess that means he didn't tamper with the vents.

Water shooting everywhere has not happened, but replacing the vents before has stopped the water temporarily only to return a few weeks or months later. The heat is still bare minimum. I have to run portable heaters. 😒

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,692
    How about posting a picture of one of your baseboards and showing the vent, post the one that has spit the most.
    Do the other apartments have the same baseboard?
    especially the open window units ?
    known to beat dead horses
    SandiT
  • SandiT
    edited December 2020
    The plumber is coming to measure the radiator to stop the hammering noises. That is only one of the problems though, the lack of warmth is a major issue too. I have to have portable heaters running 24/7 at this point. Winter is full on in NY right now. Does anyone know if changing the radiator might help with warmth? In that case they need to change the radiator in the living room too.
  • If the radiators are the same size they were when first installed, then it can be assumed that they were sized properly by the original installer, for each room, and that a bigger radiator may not necessarily give you more heat.
    Did you get a digital thermometer which remembers the highs, and lows, and if so what are they?
    A real steam man (not just a plummmmmer), should have a look at the whole system, and see why your radiators are not keeping things warm.—NBC
    SandiT
  • SandiT
    So my building management is coming to change the radiator to remedy the hammering noises it was making. Would anyone know if that might remedy the heat deficit? Not enough heat is coming out of the radiators, the room they are changing the radiator in is very cold. And while the temperature reads 73 on the thermometer it feels like 63 degrees so it's very difficult because it's a legal loophole for them in that they don't have to do anything as long at the temperature reading is over 68. They do keep the heat at 85+ for all of the other shareholders. They tell me I am the only one with this problem in the 300 family complex. Any thoughts would help a great deal. Thanks.
  • Unless they deal with the entire system, and it’s problems, it will be the same amount of steam coming into the new radiator, and therefore the same amount (or lack thereof), of heat!—NBC
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170

Unless they deal with the entire system, and it’s problems, it will be the same amount of steam coming into the new radiator, and therefore the same amount (or lack thereof), of heat!—NBC

And furthermore, it will still hammer. Maybe a different pitch, but...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaulSandiTSuperTech
  • SandiT
    Sorry for the late replay, I'm new to this sight, I was wondering where the responses went and I just realized they were on a 2nd page. I started a different thread and some very nice ppl asked for pictures as well. Would you be open to seeing them, I'd love to hear what you think? @neilc

And @nicholasbonham-carter @Jamie Hall I don't think they said they were putting larger radiators, but just replacing them. I just don't understand how they worked perfectly and for the first winter I had fantastic heat like everyone else in the complex and suddenly there's these awful problems that won't go away.