Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

system uncertainty

Options
2»

Comments

• Mark929
    Mark929 Member Posts: 72
    Options

Clogged pipe or valves at sight glass would be firt thing to check. 

do you service needham area?
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    I will be in Methuen this coming week. If you call me I can see if we can fit you into the schedule that day.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    Mark929
  • Mark929
    Mark929 Member Posts: 72
    Options
    Mark929 said:

Need your help again. New Burnham Independence Boiler 'block' - replaced 7 yr older crack one last week - uncertain Model IN# - home 1,700 sq ft. Water in glass site gauge usually fills to 1/3... noticed MacDonald Miller low water cut off light turns red, feeds water most periods I put on heat, thus stopping or slowing the process, I think? Correct? Or is that normal? VXT water feeder I set at '0' at new block install, 5 days ago, now reads 7 - I think for gallons of water? should that be? One thing: daughters room radiator leaks - 1 gallon/week which I empty, and figure into this VXT# equation. Barring that, is this normal? Should I set feeder to add a few more gallon of water from LWCO? Shouldn't water level in site glass be at least 1/2 to 2/3 filled, yet really sits at 1/3? Thoughts? I thought with new block (old crack sent steam up chimney, and VXT feeder ate gallons H2O a day) this new block would eat maybe a few gallons a month, sight glass 1/2+, MacDonald cut off wouldn't be needed each request, and system would seem self contained and efficient. Where am I wrong, what should I look to? You guys have helped greatly in the past -as I don't trust company that installed and now reinstalled this system. Happy Thanksgiving!! Thank you

How would I know if I'm loosing some lost water which is traveling into the hot water heater/tank, thus feeder clocking up, adding H2O ?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    It would be almost impossible for water to go from your steam boiler into your hot water heater... consider the pressure difference.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • AdmiralYoda
    AdmiralYoda Member Posts: 629
    Options
    Just a quick comment on how much water you can lose from a leak.  My boiler is 37 years old and I was adding water weekly in the coldest winter months.

We had a radiator that leaked....but it wasn't that bad.  A light hissing at pressure and a few drops of water.

I finally go around to rebuilding the radiator.....no more adding water!  That "slight leak" added up to a few gallons per week!
    Mark929