Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Destined For Failure?

erussell58
erussell58 Member Posts: 29

Is this a leak looking for a place to happen? Boiler feed line into equalizer line. 

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Nothing wrong with Pro Press. 

Now is it the proper fitting for that application?
  • erussell58
    That would probably be the better question.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    According to Viega, MegaPress is approved for steam. Not sure I would use it though. Threaded fittings allow for movement. 
    Steve Minnich
    erussell58Intplm.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    edited November 2020
    It's not propress it's Mega Press.

You can have it done good or you can have it done fast.

What pressure is the steam? 15 psi or less it will probably last a while. Now they have Mega up to 4"
  • erussell58
    We have just had a new Weil-McLane 88 installed and the installation contractor, when finished, had us at 8 PSI. 
    I had a steam consultant in after the installation and he said it was way too high and adjusted down to 1.5 PSI. 
  • Tinman
    If it was set at 8 psi, I’d love to see what the near boiler piping looks like. 
    Steve Minnich
  • erussell58
    Our first problem was the boiler feed line was installed above the water line... sounded like the battle of the bulge. You should quickly see problem number 2!

• EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    I see problem number 2 which is the near boiler piping is all incorrect and needs to be redone.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    Danny ScullyTinman
  • mattyork
    mattyork Member Posts: 5
    Can you educate me as to why/where the near piping is wrong? I'm a 30 year warm air guy starting to learn boilers.
  • mattyork
    mattyork Member Posts: 5
    Risers not high enough off the boiler surface?
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    Welded risers with no swing joints to allow for expansion, takeoffs between risers, press fittings on steam are still rather experimental (IMHO, others may not agree), can't really tell what the pipe sticking down over the boiler is but it seems to have a shark bite cap on it.
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    As @ratio has said there is no swing joints and the boiler riser take offs need to before the steam main take offs.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • erussell58
    Thanks everyone for their help! Does the threaded 4” pipe riser coming directly off the boiler count as the swing joint? The riser is threaded at the boiler take off and the bottom of the flange.
  • Tinman

Steve Minnich
  • erussell58
    I love page 17 lol... 
    interestingly, We have a 688. Fig. 24, says riser A should be 5” but specifies a (1 riser) Whereas Fig. 25 shows models 788-1188, with Double risers but at 4”” to 5”
    we currently have 4” risers. Seems a bit confusing there. Semantics? 
    Intplm.