Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Heating the basement

GigfyGigfy Member Posts: 1
I have steam heat and want to heat my basement . Is it recomended to take hot water from the steam boiler and circulate it through a baseboard system with a circulating pump?

Comments

• Jamie HallJamie Hall Member Posts: 13,894
    That certainly is much the simplest way to do it. If all the baseboard is going to be below the water level in the boiler, all you need to do is find a convenient tap on the boiler below the water line, pipe from that to a pump, then the baseboards, then back to a wet return somewhere. The control can be just a thermostat to turn on the pump -- although you can get fancy and add an aquastat to turn on the boiler to make sure it's hot. Doesn't take much of a pump.
    Br. Jamie, osb

Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England.

Hoffman Equipped System (all original except boiler), Weil-Mclain 580, 2.75 gph Carlin, Vapourstat 0.5 -- 6.0 ounces per square inch
    ethicalpaul
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Member Posts: 2,077
    1 pipe Peerless 63-03L in Cedar Grove, NJ, coal > oil > NG
  • Big Ed_4Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 1,486
    Yes, if you heat blow the water line , you don't need a heat exchanger to pressurize the column of water . Just to note circulators get eating up with solids left behind . Maintain and repair any steam leaks
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Member Posts: 2,077
    Even above the water line you don't need a heat exchanger. Broken record mode is on.
    1 pipe Peerless 63-03L in Cedar Grove, NJ, coal > oil > NG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!