Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Barnes and Jones Big mouth

fabaze12fabaze12 Member Posts: 21
I have an 1 year old Barnes and Jones Big Mouth and I can see steam pouring out of it. Any recommendations?

Comments

• STEAM DOCTORSTEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,249
    Replace. 
    fabaze12
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Member Posts: 2,061
    edited November 19
    Mine never did operate where I had confidence in it. I took it out of service and replaced it with two #1 size vents, a Gorton and a Maid O Mist. The MoM is way cheaper and works great. Honestly, it even does great by itself.

My main is about 50 feet and I've done extensive testing on it. The steam just doesn't travel that fast. Even with insulated mains, it still has to work to heat the pipe back up to 212F at the next call for heat and that slows down the steam's progress.

My main only has 200 sq ft EDR on it so that's a variable as well, but for $18 try a MoM #1 and compare against the time from when steam starts being generated to the time it gets to your Big Mouth. I bet it's the same within a few seconds.
    1 pipe Peerless 63-03L in Cedar Grove, NJ, coal > oil > NG
  • fabaze12fabaze12 Member Posts: 21
    @ethicalpaul, I'll put the old Vent-rite #75 back on. I'll take a look at the one you mentioned. 

The Gorton #2 I used to replace another #75 seems to be doing fine.

Thanks!
  • bmmabmma Member Posts: 22
    I had back luck with the Big Mouth. First one leaked steam throughout the heating cycle, they replaced the disk and that was essentially just wide open and poured steam into my basement. They replaced the entire thing and that one was like the first, never sealing completely and leaking steam throughout the cycle. I replaced it with Gorton #2s and I've had no problems since.
    ethicalpaul
    @bmma, thanks. I might have to do the same. Maybe the price difference is worth it...
    I have installed many Big Mouths. Most were ok but not all
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Member Posts: 2,061

Some are leaking steam right now and no one knows :grimace:
    1 pipe Peerless 63-03L in Cedar Grove, NJ, coal > oil > NG
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 227
    The two I have, have been fine. Installed one at a customer, and no complaint.... yet. Hmmm...
  • JUGHNEJUGHNE Member Posts: 7,408
    Two years ago I put 5 BM's in a school. They are on the first floor, and steam would be reported.
    They are on 3-4' risers with valve below in the event they fail.

There is evidence of a little steam passing by the paint on the wall. This has an attic main with down feed supplies.
    +1 million btuh boiler, one more season before new school is finished.
    They said I could salvage whatever I want at the end of this school year.
    I get the air vents/traps/supply orifices' and vaporstat.
    Anyone want CI rads??? Plenty of wall hung and floor standing...2 pipes.
    ethicalpaul
  • Neild5Neild5 Member Posts: 120
    I have 8 Big Mouths installed on the end of the main and non of them have ever leaked steam when I have tested them.  
    Neild5 said:
    I have 8 Big Mouths installed on the end of the main and non of them have ever leaked steam when I have tested them.  

I must've gotten that 1 bad vent out of the bunch!
  • FredFred Member Posts: 8,465
    I have three installed on my system. They were from the first production batch, maybe two or three years old. Never had a problem either.
    Some are leaking steam right now and no one knows :grimace:
    Can't help myself. You and your big mouth!!!! (I am sure that you understand the friendly banter intended).
    ethicalpaulNeild5
  • FizzFizz Member Posts: 526
    Moved in house 2 yr ago,iI have single pipe with 2 mains, one with 130 attached radiation, the other 90, got steammuch faster to end of main; initial set-up had Gorton #1's only, swithced to G #2, and Big mouth, with no improvement on slow main; switched to MOM #1 on both mains and heat is more efficient, with speed to eom slightly slower on slow side.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!