Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Watching a cast iron radiator heat up

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,801
This is bottom S&R, top sections connected. I ran two 1 hour tests, at 1 gpm, the next day at 4 gpm, very little difference in heat up time or "look"
Interesting how the hot water shoots straight up the first section, travels across the top and heats downward.
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream
ethicalpaulTinmanSkyBluePinkErin Holohan Haskell

Comments

• Zipper13
    Zipper13 Member Posts: 229
    What do you use for imaging?
    New owner of a 1920s home with steam heat north of Boston.
    Just trying to learn what I can do myself and what I just shouldn't touch
  • hot_rod
    Flir E40
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Zipper13
    Too rich for my blood! but good to see what that resolution actually looks like in person. thanks!
  • BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 303
    Thought someone got one of the new CAT S61 phones.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,747
    IIRC that was @Canucker.

I still want one, but my FLIR One is pretty nice, too

• Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Mine was the old s60. I still have it, it's a pretty rugged infrared compared to the attachment. That said, I'd get the attachment if I was going to do it again
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • hot_rod
    Yeah, like any tool the more expensive the camera the more features and better quality. Depends on what you use it for, how often, and your budget. Price has come way down. The first IR camera I used, borrowed, was $7,000.00. Belonged to the local utility company and they used it for shooting power lines, connections and transformers for preventive maintenance.

These cameras get used for all sorts of applications, I did a seminar with a Flir trainer years ago in Canada, he showed how stockyards use them for cattle, mad cow disease scanning, and also the cryogenic labs and storage.
    Keeping an eye on Walt Disney I suppose :) making sure he doesn't thaw before it's time.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Grallert
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,556
    I'll say it again, Bob... you get all the good tools.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• SteamCrazy
    SteamCrazy Member Posts: 100
    That's pretty cool. Thanks for posting.
  • Zipper13
    Met a boat surveyor in my area who uses IR to find internal hull damage in the fiberglass. He went on to explain that he also travels around the country inspecting theme parks that have fiberglass scenery and props. His camera is a lot beefier - can't imagine what it costs - but seems like a good investment if you can finagle ways to get paid to use it! I can't get enough of thermal imaging, myself. keep it coming!
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,747
    Funny story, I was working on a job once when the maintenance man said that they had their insurance adjuster call them up some time ago and excited & said "we just got a new thermal camera to try, can we come out & play around with it at your place?"

I'm sure you can see where this is heading…

The long & short of it was on the way out the door the adjuster said "BTW, here's a list of deficiencies that must be corrected before we'll re-up your policy."

At least, that's how it was explained to me.

• hot_rod
    be fun to take one up in a drone, look at roofs, solar, ponds, etc.
    The power company that I borrowed from had a van with a cutout in the roof that they would sit up under to shoot the powerlines. Looked like the Popemobile.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA