Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PVC Flexible Pipe - 2 Inch Schedule 40 to plumb in a Pool Heater

jfalbo
jfalbo Member Posts: 1
edited November 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
Is it ok to use PVC Flexible Pipe - 2 Inch Schedule 40 from the back of a Raypak Ruud Heater Natural Gas PR156A 150K BTU and would I need to have any special fittings to connect said flexible pipe to the in/out header tail piece?

I am replacing a Jandy Lite2 with this Raypak and have very limited space to work in. The Jandy has the water in/out coming from the right side when facing the front of the unit and the Raypak water in/out will be coming off the back side of the unit.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,115
    PVC pipe -- any schedule -- has a maximum temperature rating of 100 F if it's under pressure -- so no.

CPVC is OK

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Intplm.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,084
    Read the manual the pool heater came with it will steer you in the right direction
    Intplm.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 2,129
    Check the temperature and pressure ratings for both schedule #80 pvc and cpvc.
    They might be applicable to your application.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,801
    if it is a common listed pool heater, most times they include a couple of feet of stainless or copper header for you to connect the PVC onto. Even hot tube run standard PVC or flexible PVC.
    I'd stay away from cellular core pipe.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    Be careful of flex PVC. The resistance of the pipe is crazy high. The temp rating is rarely published.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • wyo
    wyo Member Posts: 4

Here’s a couple PVC pipes I discovered serving as supply/return for a hot tub. Looks like a Dr Seuss illustration. Maybe the wrong material.  Probably could use some support too assuming that black shoelace doesn’t qualify. (:
  • Lard
    Lard Member Posts: 115
    edited November 2020
    My hot tub came new using plain sch40 PVC and flex, despite running up to 110 degrees and ~30psi.

it has had blowouts in the flex portions.  The plasticizer leaches out and it gets brittle and splits longitudinally. 

I have replaced a good bit of it with sch80 PVC and it has yet to fail. I had to be very creative with swing joints.
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 756
    My current 400k pool heater has a CPVC connector "header" to the bronze header of the heater that is designed to take regular 2" sch 40 PVC. The temp of the water coming out is not very hot.

Years ago (25+) the connector header was metal on some and they did require a short metal connector pipe that used a compression fitting ..

I would call the manufacturer -- some are very good at answering questions. Frankly -- it would surprise me if it's not approved and regular is. I'm talking about the heavy white PVC with smooth inner wall ...

When I repiped my pool system about 10 years ago for new filter/pumps I used the 2" flex ... it's a superior way vs 90's and connectors. Male to slip fittings for the flex.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,115
    A comment, if I may, from a long retired -- and, when in the business, as flexible as possible building inspector. If, and only if, there are two fail safe temperature control devices on the pool heater, which limit the operating temperature of the water to 100 F, I'd have permitted PVC. Any schedule. Over that, or without the fail safes, I would have required CPVC.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,025
    I have a heat pump pool heater set at 85F installed about 4 years ago. I used 2" white flex pipe and have had no problems. I have a tee at the bottom connection with a drain and blow down the heater for the winter (upstate NY).
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 756
    As I said -- 25+ years ago regular 40 PVC was approved for connection. Minimax (Pentair) -- it was one of the selling points. They all have roll over sensors -- multi temp sensors and pressure sensors. The output temp is warm -- not hot ...even with my 400k heater .... it's a 2" pipe and 1.5hp pump.

Mine has the ridged PVC as it 90's not far from the unit and goes right under ground. My original filter/pump was all ridged as well.

All the newer setups seem to use some of the flex -- it eliminates any alignment issues, vibrations and restrictions. Again -- this is the heavy stuff that uses the same glue and fittings as sch40. Not clamps. It's not the cheap flex pipe that comes with some filter pump setups
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,801
    I think maintain careful chemistry has a lot to do with PVC life. Even in cold water mains there have been examples of plasticizer leaching out from the treatment chemicals. It happens on dead end piping runs can cause hairline splits.
    I think KC had issues with PVC failing years ago traced to the water treatment chemicals.
    I suspect hot water could accelerate that?
    When I abandoned my pool, after 20 plus years, all the PVC was fragile like glass, it would shatter just dropping it on the concrete.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream