Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressuretrol Install

Options
fxrgrunt
fxrgrunt Member Posts: 157
Is this pressuretrol installed in the correct location? Seeing all the other installations on here I dont remember seeing a lot installed off the sight glass. I also vaguely remember reading that the pig tail should be rotated so you dont see the loop hole.

Comments

• fxrgrunt
    Options
    Follow on question. If it is okay to be off the sight glass, should I get a different pigtail, then turn it vertical and mount it straight up off the T?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,345
    Options
    No, that installation is OK. There are a lot of ways to install those things!

The caution about the orientation of the pigtail had to do with the older mercury switch type pressuretrols and vapourstats. They were very sensitive to level, left and right. The newer ones with the mechanical switches aren't.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    fxrgrunt
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Functionally it will work, but over time (a long time) because the loop goes down, it could accumulate "gunk" which could affect how the ptrol senses pressure changes. If it was mine, I would put in an elbow and use a pigtail like in the pic below. Less "gunk" will travel uphill.

fxrgrunt
  • fxrgrunt
    Options
    No, that installation is OK. There are a lot of ways to install those things! The caution about the orientation of the pigtail had to do with the older mercury switch type pressuretrols and vapourstats. They were very sensitive to level, left and right. The newer ones with the mechanical switches aren't.
    Got ya. I didnt know that so I appreciate the info!
  • fxrgrunt
    Options
    Functionally it will work, but over time (a long time) because the loop goes down, it could accumulate "gunk" which could affect how the ptrol senses pressure changes. If it was mine, I would put in an elbow and use a pigtail like in the pic below. Less "gunk" will travel uphill.
    I was thinking this also. Just turn the T up and pipe it straight up. I see people run pressure gauges piped in off the same piping as pressuretrol. Any reason to do this when I already have boiler pressure gauge?
  • Dan_NJ
    Dan_NJ Member Posts: 247
    Options
    As I've learned here and from my own experience, the 0-30 PSI gauge that is installed on a boiler tapping is there to meet code, provides little or no useful information, and frequently fails. Having a low pressure gauge (1-3 PSI, 1-5 PSI) in line with the pressuretrol will tell you what's really going on with your system.
    fxrgrunt
  • fxrgrunt
    Options
    Dan_NJ said:
    As I've learned here and from my own experience, the 0-30 PSI gauge that is installed on a boiler tapping is there to meet code, provides little or no useful information, and frequently fails. Having a low pressure gauge (1-3 PSI, 1-5 PSI) in line with the pressuretrol will tell you what's really going on with your system.
    I appreciate the input. So let me make sure I install correctly. I will pipe the vertical pigtail off the T on the top sight glass nipple. Then a T on the pigtail with the pressure gauge on the side and the pressuretrol off the top nipple? BTW, I see you are from Jersey. I guess I owe ya a pork roll sandwich!
  • Dan_NJ
    Dan_NJ Member Posts: 247
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I'm not a pro by any means. Looking at your pic I would probably put a street 90 on that exiting T, then vertical pigtail, another T on top of that for the gauge, then a short nipple out the top and finally the pressuretol on top. There's probably a better way.

PS - Funny you mention, I have a Taylor Ham in the fridge right now on standby. I won't hold it against you for being a Pork Roll guy :)
    fxrgruntethicalpaul
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,063
    Options
    If you rotate the tee a 1/4 turn up and the sight glass valve 3/4 of a turn that would be the best IMO.

But if you want to leave the tee, I would put a short nipple and then another tee with a plug to allow cleaning out the sight glass stub out. (all brass BTY)
    AMservices
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with it. Leave it alone.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    STEAM DOCTOR