Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vent with no space to remove/unscrew

Options
Roddy
Roddy Member Posts: 63
Single pipe steam with all traditional cast iron radiators except for one cast iron baseboard radiator. I'd like to change the vent on the baseboard unit to get it to heat less rapidly/vent slower, but I realized there's not enough space between the vent and the wooden baseboard next to it to be able to unscrew it---it'd hit the baseboard. I realize the vent that's on there had to have been added somehow and I'm guessing there's some kind of add on that you can screw on without having to "spin" the vent, but I thought I'd ask all of you before I start any work on it. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,345
    Options
    Can you post a good closeup of the arrangement? Might be able to see something not obvious...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • nybigapple
    nybigapple Member Posts: 59
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Nevermind, I misread baseboard radiator for radiator.
  • Roddy
    Options
    I'm thinking there must be some kind of adapter on there that allows the vent to stay fixed while screwing in/onto the baseboard unit.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,063
    Options
    Pictures??
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    Happens all the time. You gotta pull the baseboard off the wall a little and spin the valve off.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    ethicalpaul
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    Maybe saw the vent off with a sawzall or hacksaw and then take then unscrew the sawed off nipple. Install the new vent with a union.

But as @JohnNY said they put it in there it should come out.

You could also remove the baseboard change the vent and then put the baseboard back in wit a union on the vent
  • Roddy
    Options
    Thank you---again.