Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pex al pex compression fittings buried in ceiling

Turse22
Turse22 Member Posts: 6
I am adding a cast iron radiator to new second floor room. I am running home run pex al pex through a wall from basement, then between the ceiling joists between the1st and 2nd floor. From there I was going to use pap compression connection to a rigid stub up to radiator.
Question is how does everyone feel about inaccessible compression fittings in ceiling/floor? My gut is telling me to just connect pap right to the rad and have the connection accessible. Just like the look of stub up better.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,115
    Crimp fittings? Probably OK.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,111
    Make the connection where an access door can be installed.
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 756
    I have never had a regular one fail .... Warmboard approves using a compression when fixing a damaged PexAlPex pipe during install -- they actually send you two. They are buried into the floor! They only approve one crimp type and I have never used the type they show. Any PexAlPex needs two "0"rings in the fitting....

Cross manifolds sends one connection that takes both types -- it has two "o' rings and uses a common copper crimp ring to hold it ... so they must hold with PexAlPex. Very easy if you have the tool.

I understand your fear .... On the projects where I have used panel radiators I did indeed run the PEX up the short distance to the bypass valve on the bottom of the radiator --- used a plastic sleeve to cover some of the first ones I did .... but, really you don't notice them since they come straight up/down.

With the Runtals -- have always done the chrome stubs and burry the compression fitting. It's not like there is a lot of pressure -- like domestic water. I would use the compression and stub if you really notice and need something pretty. It's a tried and true method.

• Turse22
    Turse22 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks you guys for your opinions. I don't want to invest in crimp setup. Access door can't be installed as it will be under finished floor and below connection is 1st floor shower.
    I think I am going to run it up right to radiator valve and not take risk. I can always sleeve it if I don't like the way it looks or paint it to match rad it will blend in .
    Thanks again

MaxMercykcopp