Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Combustion analysis not needed during a PM?

Options
I'm a homeowner and Just had maintenance done on my single pipe steam boiler (Weil-McLain Gold with EZ-Burner) and the plumber said it didn't need a combustion analysis because it's not a high efficiency boiler. The boiler is full of tags from previous maintenance checks all with combustion analysis results. Am I mistaken in requesting this be included in an annual PM?

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,837
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Wrong Answer. You lose. Need another contractor

Annual PM on oil heat is designed to get the peak performance for the upcoming season. If he changed the nozzle, adjusted the electrodes, and brushed the lint off the fan and housing that builds up over the season... then the air/fuel mixture must be checked to see if adjustments are needed to get the best performance.

Call the boss and ask what the company policy is.

If he did not do those things with the PM and the company agrees then I would not let him back into the house, give him a bad review on Google, Yelp, and anywhere else that will listen.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    MaxMercyethicalpaul
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    I had a crusty old oil fired hot water boiler in CT and my service company left me an analysis printout every year.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    edited October 2020
    Options
    You have an oil, cast iron wet base boiler. It absolutely needs smoke, draft and combustion tests. You need a competent tech, not just a plumber. He probably doesn't even own a digital analyzer.
    MaxMercy
  • Soilidventur
    Soilidventur Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. Just to clarify the EZ burner is gas fueled.

I'm confused about the comments re: plumber vs tech. Every listing for boiler repair/maintenance/replacement is a plumbing company. Are there secret boiler technicians somewhere that I don't know about in the Boston,MA area?
    ethicalpaul
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Gas burner needs a combustion test too, draft and gas pressure checked.
    steve
    MaxMercy
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Gas or oil both need a combustion analysis especially when we are talking about a Gas conversion burner. You need to contact Denny Reardon and old gas man from way back.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Denny Reardon can be reached at dennys.service@yahoo.com